Thu Oct 28
- Download to calendar
- print friendly
A Call for Pro Bono: Advancing the Rule of Law (Webinar)
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: ABA Commission on Immigration
- Source: Pennsylvania > PA Pro Bono
- Community Education/Outreach
- Recruitment Event
Join the ABA Commission on Immigration for a Pro Bono Week webinar entitled A Call for Pro Bono: Advancing the Rule of Law on October 28, 2021 at 3:00 PM Eastern.
This program will explain how you can volunteer to help immigrants and asylum-seekers at the border and beyond.
Pro bono work is crucial to upholding due process rights for migrants. With no right to government-funded counsel and a high indigence rate, many migrants appear in court pro se. The lack of representation has dramatic consequences, particularly for those fleeing persecution or facing separation from family in the United States.
The ABA Commission on Immigration offers a wide array of options to provide pro bono service. Opportunities range from limited counsel and advice to full case representation, so you can find something that matches your interests and schedule. During the webinar, you will learn about available opportunities, the support and mentorship provided to volunteers, and the life-changing difference you can make on behalf of others.
- Karla McKanders (Moderator) Chair of the ABA Commission on Immigration, Clinical Professor of Law at Vanderbilt Law School
- Stephanie Baez, ABA Commission on Immigration Pro Bono Counsel
- Michelle Reed, Partner at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP and pro bono attorney
- Bonnie Fought, founder and past COO, CFO and General Counsel of Connectix Corporation and pro bono attorney
American Bar Association