VSB Pro Bono Conference: Session One: Domestic Violence – Nuts and Bolts – Pro Bono Protective Orders
- 8:45 AM - 10:15 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: Virginia State Bar, Virginia Poverty Law Center
Virtual EventMap:Richmond , VA
- Domestic Violence
- Continuing Legal Education Program (CLE)
Session One: Domestic Violence – Nuts and Bolts – Pro Bono Protective Orders – CLE pending (90 minutes)
The 2020 VSB Pro Bono Conference will be held virtually in conjunction with the 40th Annual Statewide Legal Aid Conference that takes place October 20-23.
This year’s Statewide event theme is Breaking down systematic barriers that keep low-income Virginians in the cycle of poverty.
Description: Presenters will provide substantive legal training on the basics of Virginia protective orders. Session will highlight the impact COVID-19 has had on the domestic violence landscape. Trainers will explain the importance of engaging in trauma-informed representation and empathetic listening, and provide tips for bringing these tools into your advocacy for DV survivors.
- Susheela Varky, Director, Center for Family Advocacy; Staff Attorney for Domestic and Sexual Violence, VPLC
- Nora Mahoney, Family Law Practice Group Chair, LSNV
- CLE Credit Comments: CLE sessions for attorneys and other legal aid professionals cover the most pressing changes and issues affecting the fight against poverty, as well as non-CLE sessions for professionals in management, administrative staff, community advocates, and others. The VSB programming is FREE and will feature two CLE sessions, including Ethics, and a panel discussion on Bias in the Legal Profession. Look for the 8:45 am sessions labeled as Virginia State Bar!