Breaking Poverty Barriers to Equal Justice
- 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Central Time (US & Canada)
- By: Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Continuing Legal Education Program (CLE)
Please join us in a FREE virtual webinar to learn more about poverty barriers to equal justice (some may surprise you!) and how to get the best results for clients from poverty. The information from this webinar will be immediately useful for volunteer attorneys, as well as those who would like to use the materials to provide their own CLEs.
This four-hour interactive CLE will take place on Tuesday, November 8 (2 hours) and Thursday, November 10 (2 hours) from 11AM to 1PM Central Time both days. The deadline to register is Monday Wednesday November 2.
The topics we will explore are:
• How we are "primed" to see what we expect and how this negatively impacts our clients from poverty
• Where we get our information about poverty, and why that's not reliable
• The federal poverty standards and what they mean in real life
• The criminalization of poverty
• Different types of poverty
• Resource barriers to participating in the court system
• Ideas for increasing common problems, such as clients coming to appointments
• Ways in which we judge those in poverty - and how to overcome them
• How to establish trust
• Different styles of communicating
• Putting it all together: specific suggestions for improving representations
The goals of the CLE are:
• To see people in poverty worthy of help.
• To be more successful helping people in poverty.
• To be able to contribute to improving your community because you'll understand poverty better.
• To have resources that will enable participants to give this presentation to others (or use the training videos in their own trainings)
Please note: These sessions are virtual via webinar and Session 1 is required to participate in Session 2. Because this webinar builds on content, participants must join at the beginning of each session. There is also about 15 minutes of pre-work for both sessions.
4.0 Elimination of Bias Credits Applied for (Event Code: 228371)
In the meantime, if you are unable to join us, you may also claim 2.0 hours of elimination of bias on-demand credit by watching the videos themselves here: http://wpbc.wikispaces.com/Poverty+2.0.
These video clips are free to nonprofit legal services programs nationwide, thanks to generous support from Lindquist & Vennum LLP and in-kind contributions from Volunteer Lawyers Network, Target and Communication Across Barriers.
- CLE Credit Comments: 4.0 Elimination of Bias Credits Applied for (Event Code: 228371)
Martha DelaneyVolunteer Lawyers Network612-752-6676
- Website: www.vlnmn.org