Starting a Risk Detector Initiative in Your Community: Case Studies from the Field
Tuesday October 15
- By: Pro Bono Net, Center for Elder Law & Justice
- Time: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Time Zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Online, United States
- Source: Misc National Sites > SWEB Support Site
According to the National Council on Aging, approximately 1 in 10 Americans age 60 or over has experienced some form of elder abuse, but studies estimate that only 1 in 14 cases are reported to authorities.
With support from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime (OVC), Pro Bono Net and the Center for Elder Law & Justice have partnered on an initiative to create and expand two online tools to enable innovative partnership and outreach models to identify, respond to and remedy elder abuse and financial exploitation: 1.) the Legal Risk Detector, a web-based screening and referral app designed for use by social workers, nurses and other professionals in aging; and 2.) online forms, powered by LawHelp Interactive, to help victims of abuse and exploitation access legal remedies available to them.
For nonprofit legal aid organizations and professionals serving the aging, this three-part webinar series will highlight the goals of this project, how these tools are being used by senior-serving organizations, and how other programs can take advantage of resources and learning developed under this project. Nonprofit legal services staff, victim advocates, social workers, librarians, educators and health care professionals working with aging populations are welcome.
We hope you are able to join us for this free webinar series! To learn more or to register, please visit the links below.
- The Legal Risk Detector: Powering Community Partnerships to Address Elder Abuse and Financial Exploitation – Thursday, September 26 @ 11am PT/2pm ET - 12pm PT/3pm ET
- Starting a Risk Detector Initiative in Your Community: Case Studies from the Field – Tuesday, October 15th @ 11am PT/2pm ET - 12pm PT/3pm ET
- Online Legal Forms to Mitigate and Protect Against Common Forms of Abuse – Thursday, October 24 @ 11am PT/2pm ET - 12pm PT/3pm ET
This project is supported by grant number 2017-VF-GX-K135, U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime (OVC), for the FY 2017 Field-Generated Innovations in Addressing Elder Abuse and Financial Exploitation Project. The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this program are those of the contributors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.