Applying for Replacement "Green Card" or Certificate of Naturalization

  • 1/11/2008
  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

26 Federal Plaza, Room 1104

District #3

New York, NY 10278


This is to inform you of a change in our procedures that will impact your office(s) and the customers you serve. Beginning January 7th, 2008, the New York District Office of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will no longer issue letters of status verification to naturalized United States Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents.

Letters of status verification were commonly requested through an informal process by those who, for various reasons, required proof of their immigration status in the United States. Letters of status verification were normally issued to those who lost their Certificate of Naturalization / Citizenship or Alien Registration Card (Green Card) and later applied for, but had yet to receive, the actual replacement document.

After careful review, this office has determined that there is no basis in law or regulation that requires or allows USCIS to issue letters of status verification under these or any other circumstances. Moreover, it is noted that because letters of status verification are not issued Service-wide, numerous vulnerabilities exist, such as a lack of many of hte sophisticated security features necessary to prevent duplication, alteration or otehr types of counterfeiting. Consistent with the Federal Government's REAL ID Act, letters of status verification will no longer be issued for any reason in lieu of obtaining the appropriate secure replacement documetn such as a Certificate of Naturalization / Citizenship or Alien Registration Card.

Applicants are encouraged to immediately file for replacement Certificates of Naturalization / Citizenship adn Alien Registration Cards as soon as they become aware that their document was either lost, stolen, or destroyed.

--Lost, stolen or destroyed Certificates of Naturalization / Citizenship can be replaced by filing Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document.

--Lost, stolen or destroyed Green Cards can be replaced by filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

More information on filing Forms N-565 and I-90 can be obtained from the USCIS website: or by callign the USCIS National Customer Service Center toll-free number: 1-800-375-5283. Forms N-565 and I-90 are available from the toll-free USCIS Forms line, 1-800-870-3676, or can be downloaded from the USCIS website.

Servicemen and women who are members of the US Armed Forces may also seek assistance with issues pertaining to the verification fo their immigration status through the military's Fax-Back System.

We appreciate your cooperation in implementing this change and hope that this information will help avoid unnecessary visits to our office for our mutual customers. If you have any questions or concerns you may contact SDAO Charles Akalski at 1-212-264-0848.

Andrea J. Quarantillo

District Director, NYC

  • Immigration Court Procedure