Language Access Issues in Social Security and Medicare
Tuesday October 08 , 2013
- By: National Senior Citizens Law Center
- Time: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Time Zone: Central Time (US & Canada)
Webinar (Live)Map: maps.google.com
National Senior Citizens Law Center
- Website: www.nsclc.org
- Source: Oklahoma > Advocate Resource Center
Limited English proficient (LEP) older adults face common issues in accessing federally administered public benefits, in particular Social Security and Medicare.
• More than 3.3 million of America's seniors are not fluent in English, and a significant number of these are low-income.
• 38% of elderly applicants for SSI asked to be interviewed in a language other than English.
While translation and interpretation are vital to navigating complex public benefit programs, too often LEP individuals fail to get this help.