LSC Announces 2006 Technology Initiative Grants
Friday, September 22, 2006
- Organization: LSC Updates
This year's grants will fund innovative technology projects that:
* Develop and improve statewide legal assistance websites;
* Provide training and technical assistance to staff of LSC-funded programs;
* Enhance LSC-funded programs' intake systems;
* Help pro se litigants represent themselves in court; and
* Improve the overall technological infrastructure of LSC-funded programs.
Notable projects funded by the TIG program this year include:
* The Legal Aid and Defender Association's project to provide self help legal information and forms in Arabic on Michigan's statewide web site, www.michiganlegalaid.org. The Detroit program was awarded $52,600 for the project, which will include an online video tour of the local District Court in Arabic to familiarize pro se litigants with the court's processes and procedures.
* Legal Services Alabama's (LSA) Video Conferencing Pilot Project. The program was awarded $47,600 to fund a pilot project establishing video conferencing capacity connecting an Alabama courthouse and a mobile video conferencing unit serving the state's rural residents.