Joining and Approving Members
The probono.net platform has a membership component as well as password-protected content. Membership provides users with access to the password-protected content. This resource is chaptered into the following sections:
- Joining a Practice Area or Website
- Reviewing a Join Form
- How to Approve New Members
- How to Edit Member Profiles
- Area Specific Questions
Users can join your password protected practice area or website by clicking the Join link in the left navigation and completing the join form. When a user submits an application to join your site/practice area it triggers two things:
- Your site automatically generates and sends an email to them with thanks for applying, and telling them they'll be notified shortly about whether their application has been approved. (Edits to the text of this automatic join email may be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The person's join form gets sent to your Admin Inbox under the Awaiting Approval status.
1. Admin Settings
Admin Settings allow you to change the following:
Applicants self-designate a member type when they join, and you accept or change it when you approve their application, based on their area of practice, their position, or their school.
- NOTE: Before you change someone's Member Type, be sure to scroll down to the very end of the form to check if the applicant belongs to another practice area. If so, please DO NOT modify their member type without contacting email@example.com because such modifications will impact the applicant's access to content on his/her original practice area(s).
Exclude from all mailings?
Check this box if the person has requested to be unsubscribed from monthly training calendar mailings (or any other mailings you send out regularly), OR if you need to blacklist the person from your mailings.
- NOTE: This setting can be overridden ad hoc when you create a mailing. See the Mailings chapter for more information.
Notes in this box will only be viewable by admins, so use it to jot down anything pertinent about the person, whether it be the reason you're rejecting or deleting them, information you want them to provide, or any other note you wish to keep on file about them. This comments fields is shared with other probono.net sites, so be sure to mark your site with your comment (e.g. Reentry.net - Email member for more info 3/25/09.)
2. Practice Area Permissions
Here you grant the applicant admim permissions regarding the Practice Area they're applying to. You can also assign them admin permissions for your Geo Area.
Grant this user all area administrative permissions
Checking this box allows the person to submit, approve, edit, and delete content to all tools within the practice area.
Granted Tool Admin Permissions
This confers full admin rights (add/approve/edit/delete) over all content in select tools (Calendar, News, Library, Roster, etc.). Hold down the CTRL key to choose multiple tools.
Granted Tool Contributor Permissions
This confers full admin rights (add/approve/edit/delete) over the person's own submitted content within an assigned tool(s). Hold down the CTRL key to select multiple tools.
- TIP: You can use Tool Admin and Contributor permissions to share admin duties for your site among multiple people. For example, you can grant a staff member in charge of new member applications rights solely as a Roster admin, or give pro bono coordinators rights to use the Mailings tool for case placement without granting them full admin rights over the entire practice area.
3. Geo Area Permissions
Here you grant the applicant permissions regarding the Geo Area attached to the Practice Area being applied to.
- Note: If your website is a practice area or self-branded website, you may not have a Geo area to administer. If you do not have a Geo area, the options will not appear in your member forms.
Grant this user all area geographic and practice area adminstration permissions.
Checking this box allows the roster member to submit, approve, and edit content to all tools in the Geo area as well as all practice areas assigned to the Geo area.
Granted Geo Tool Admin Permissions
This confers full admin rights (add/approve/edit/delete) over all content in any given Geo tool (Calendar, News, Library, etc.). Hold down the CTRL key to select multiple tools.
Granted Geo Tool Contributor Permissions
This confers full admin rights (add/approve/edit/delete) over the member's own content within an assigned tool(s). Hold down the CTRL key to select multiple tools.
- TIP: You can use this feature to assign admin rights to regular trusted contributors, enabling them to manage only the content they submit-for example, just their Calendar events or Library resources.
Other Practice Areas
As noted above, the very end of the join form has a little section that presents information about when the person applied for membership in a probono.net site, when his or her profile was last modified and which practice areas the applicant belongs to.
- NOTE: Please make sure you have not changed the applicant's member type if s/he belongs elsewhere, because such modifications will impact the applicant's access to content on his/her original practice area(s).
To approve a new member, select Awaiting Approval from the Admin Inbox filter, and click on the Members link to see a list of applicants awaiting review. Click on a name and the person's join form will open. You will need to review its entries and assign permissions before approving. Be sure especially to catch any blank fields. You may email or call them for this information if it's critical to your decision to approve or reject them.
You may modify or review member profiles by locating the profile in the alphabetized Roster and clicking the edit buttonnext to their name. The member profile form looks identical to their join form.
When a site is first created, admins work with Pro Bono Net to create this section to collect ancillary information about members. The checkbox and yes/no questions here also double as filters in the Mailings tool.
Admins can work with PBN to create custom checkbox and yes/no questions that are only viewable to admins, not by members. These Admin-only questions will also appear as filters in the Mailings Tool, along with Area Specific Questions. (Note: Text box questions cannot be used as filters.)
- TIP: To modify or add Area Specific or Admin-only questions, contact your Circuit Rider / PBN contact.