- How to Post a Calendar Event
- How to Share-In Calendar Content From Other Sites
- Calendar Form Fields
- Updating or Deleting a Calendar Event
- Approving a User-Submitted Event
- Guidelines for Formatting Calendar Event Content
- RSS Feeds from Calendar Events
Calendar events display in three views: Date, Location, or Topic.
- In Date view, the navigation bar displays weeks of the month.
- In Topic view, the navigation view displays "All topics for the month of (date)".
- In Location view, the navigation bar displays "All locations for the month of (date)".
Within all views, use the <<Previous and Next>> links at either end of the navigation bar to move back and forth in the timeline.
How to post a Calendar event
Click the add event link at the top right of any Calendar page to open the event content form. Form field with an asteriskare required. If you overlook a required field, the system will remind you by posting it at the top of the form when you try to submit it.
- TIP: Click the missed / error field at the top of the form and to move directly to the missing field within the form.
If you are finding that your site's calendar does not have enough content for the month, take advantage of the Shared Content tool. You can access this tool from the Admin Inbox, under "Shared Content" in the drop-down menu and by clicking on the magnifying glass icon. Next, select "Calendar Event" and you will see a list of calendar events that have been shared-in from other Pro Bono Net sites. This tool provides information on the event's title, city, start date, Source topic(s), Org(s) and restrictions where applicable.
Calendar events can be filtered chronologically by start date clicking on the "Start Date" text. Calendar events can also be filtered alphabetically by title, city and source by clicking on the appropriate text. To approve a calendar event to your site's calendar, click on the title of the event and update the status to "Approved." Assign topics as necessary and click on "Submit." The Shared Content will appear on your site's calendar. If the event is deleted or edited by the site that originally shared the calendar content, the calendar content will be automatically updated on other sites it has been shared into.
For more details, be sure to refer to the Publishing Shared Content section in this manual.
TIP: Useful calendar events to share-in are appropriate webinars and other events that are located in-state or close by if not a webinar. Clicking on "City" can help sort locations by alphabetical order; webinars should be listed under "Webinar."
Another way to filter is to utilize the Shared Inbox Search Filters. You can access this through the Admin Inbox, by clicking on "Shared Content" in the drop down menu. Then, click on the "Shared Inbox Search Filters." Select or deselect filters for shared content from other sites as necessary. Check boxes next to a site name indicate that the particular site will be excluded from sharing-in content to your site. Clicking on the plus symbol next to a site name will display its practice areas, which can also be selected or deselected as necessary. Click "Finished" to save changes. Please note that these settings are user specific.
Calendar Form Fields
Event Title (Required)
The title of the event. This is what users will click on to access more information about the event.
This will appear on the Detail view page. It is a FCKeditor field.
Start Date/ End Date
This is the date of the event. End date will "snap" to match the entered start date.
Daily Start / End Time
Enter start and end time of the event, if known. You can leave the minute field blank if events begin or end on the hour. End time will "snap" to match the entered start time.
If your calendar sorts geographically by City, make sure to enter city names consistently; otherwise you will end up with multiple variations on the same location displaying (e.g., New York, New York City, NYC).
If one or more of the Sponsoring Organizations is funded by LSC, the LSC logo will display next to the event title.
Event Contact - Phone
Enter a phone number of up to 20 characters.
Event Contact - Email
This field will convert to a hyperlink on the site. If you have multiple email contacts, enter them in the description field.
Event Contact - Website
Enter a full url, including the http:// prefix.
You can upload a registration form, flyer or webcast from your computer. First choose the type of attachment-File or Webcast. (If you change your mind, select the radio button beside None.)
Then click Browse to locate file on your computer and OPEN when you have found it, and it will attach to the calendar event.
- NOTE: Only one attachment per event-you cannot have a webcast, and a File at the same time.
- TIP: If you make a mistake and upload something you don't want, select the None radio button to discard it, OR click Browse to overwrite what's there with a replacement from your computer.
The default status is Awaiting Approval, which means that if you don't switch this to Approved, you will not see the event in the Calendar--it will stay in your Admin Inbox. Remember to switch the status to Approved if you want to publish the event to your Calendar page immediately.
- Deleted places the event in the Admin Inbox under Deleted items.
- More Information Requested and Rejected are useful internally as a way to mark items you're not ready to publish or want someone else to review. Selecting either of these puts the event in your Admin Inbox under the same category.
Select who will see a Calendar event by choosing from the options listed. Keep in mind the following:
- If your Calendar tool is password-protected--meaning only logged in site members can see its content--a No Restriction event will be hidden from public users because they will not be able to access the Calendar page in the first place.
- However: consider marking Calendar events as No Restriction and selecting the Share this item box. This allows them to be read by the public in other, open Calendar pages (e.g., the Geo Area Calendar page), and frees them up to be returned in search results.
Restricted to Members of this Site
All logged-in members of the site will see the item. Even if this item is published on a public Calendar page it will only display to logged-in members.
Allow access by these members
Only the user type(s) you select from this list will see the event. To select more than one, hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard as you click.
To select the box next to "Share this content item with other probono.net sites" means you allow members in all practice and geographical areas to retrieve it in a search. Admins from other areas will also be able to add the event to their practice area calendars. Member type privileges set by you still apply to shared content. See Publishing Shared Content for more information.
This field is used to assign events for inclusion in the monthly training calendar. It does not affect display on the calendar page.
Area topics (Required)
Calendar events may be tagged at the top Topic level only.
- NOTE: All content, from library materials to calendar events to news stories, must be tagged with one or more Topics.
To assign Topics, take these steps:
- Topic: Select a topic from the drop down list and it will appear in the box below labeled Available Topics/Subtopics. (Calendar events do not have Subtopics available for tagging; this is for Library items only.)
- Available Topics/Subtopics: Double-click the topic in this second box OR select it and hit the down arrow below the box. Note how the item appears in the 3rd box labeled Assigned.
- Assigned: Whatever appears in this box is what you're choosing to tag your Calendar event with. To remove an assigned topic, highlight it and either double-click, or hit the UP arrow above the box.
Click Submit to post the event and you will automatically return to the Calendar page you were on when you chose to add a new item.
- TIP: If you do not see the item you just posted it's more than likely that the Status was not set to Approved. Look for it in your Admin Inbox > Awaiting Approval > Calendar list. If your item is there, click its title to open it. Scroll down to the Status box. Choose Approved. Then click Submit.
Updating or Deleting a Calendar Event
To delete or make changes to an existing event, open its content form by clicking the edit icon next to its title. Make your changes, then click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen. If you wish to delete the event, change its status to Deleted, and click Submit. (The event will only disappear from the Calendar's live pages. It will remain in the system's Admin Inbox under Deleted Items.)
- NOTE: If the event was shared in from another area, the fields you may edit are limited to Status, Priority box, and Area Topics. In addition, you can click the Settings tab to send the event to one or more areas' Admin Inboxes for possible publication. All else is fixed. See Publishing Shared Content for more information on Shared Content.
Approving a User-Submitted Event
Non-admin users are permitted (and encouraged) to submit Calendar events of their own. However, such events are not automatically published to the site; they appear in the "Awaiting Approval" section of your Admin Inbox until an Area Administrator reviews and approves them. (See Admin Inbox chapter for more information about how the Admin Inbox works.)
To publish such an event, go to your Admin Inbox. You'll already have all Awaiting Approval content displayed, so just click Calendar Event and also the magnifying glass iconbeside it. Open the event's content form by clicking on its title. Before approving, be sure to review or reformat the following:
- Non-admin users do not have access to FCKEdit when submitting events, but instead enter info in plain text.
- Mark Priority
- Access Restrictions
Now switch its status to "Approved" and click Submit at the bottom of the page. Or, elect any other status option you want.
- NOTE: The name and email address of content submitters displays at the bottom of each form. If you have any questions about the event, click on the email address to send a query.
- NOTE: For Calendar items that contain an attachment, it is necessary to approve the event first in order to view the actual attachment. If, upon viewing the attachments, you want to remove one or more, click on the Edit button and select the Delete box beside the unwanted file in the Attachment section.
Guidelines for Formatting Calendar Event Content
- Watch out for typos!
- Make sure to curb the AMOUNT OF ALL CAPS THAT ARE USED. Extra Tip: Copy and paste ALLS CAPS TEXT into MS Word. Highlight the text. Hit Shift+F3. This will make everything lowercase. Hit Shift+F3 again. This will capitalize the first letter of every word. Clean up the capitalization as needed.
- Make sure that any CLE details in the description are also in the "CLE Comments" section.
- Make sure that the description field does not contain HTML tags (i.e. codes such as <br/>). To easily get rid of such formatting, simply copy and cut the text, then click the "Source" button in the editor and paste. Hit the "Source" button one more time, and this will adjust the HTML formatting. You may have to re-format spacing and bold text again.
- If the event submitted includes a link to another web site, copy and paste its URL into a new browser window to check the link.
- Check for overall consistency with the way your calendars are processed i.e. all New York City events as "New York City" or "NYC" not "New York City" and"NYC" and words such as "Street" (vs St) and "Avenue" (vs Av).
- Include commas after the "Location Name" field, "Address Line One" field and "Address Line Two" field, if fields have data entered in them. This will ensure that the address line displays properly in the the public view of the calendar and in the calendar mailing. Please note that the "Location Name" is not generated by the e-calendar mailing, only the address information.
- For webinars, write in "Webinar" in the location box, and set the state location to your state. However, you will NOT be able to update the time zone to accurately reflect information for your state if the information is shared in. Pro Bono Net staff will make sure the time zone information is reflected accurately in the mailing for events that have been shared into the calendar.
- Avoid commas in the "Sponsoring Organization(s)" fields. This will ensure that the address line displays properly in the the public view of the calendar and in the calendar mailing.
- If your calendar mailing is sent from a geographical website area, events in your local practice areas must first be shared into your geo area calendar. Otherwise, calendar events in your practice area will NOT appear in your calendar mailing.
- Events must have "Give Priority?" set to "Yes". If events are not marked Priority they will not be included in the email.
- Events should have member type restriction set to "No Restriction."
- Make sure to code event topics correctly.
- Only assign one topic to a calendar event.
- Do NOT APPROVE calendar mailings in your inbox. Pro Bono Net staff will handled this step when the e-calendar mailing is ready.
RSS feeds from Calendar Events
Public Calendar pages now supply RSS feeds. Users can subscribe to these feeds for their web pages, online news aggregators, or desktop newsreader applications. There are two ways to do so:
- Click the RSS icon at the top right of the Calendar page.
- If using Mozilla's Firefox, go to any Calendar page and click the RSS icon in Firefox's url field.