San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program, Inc. *
To Volunteer, Contact:
707 Broadway, Suite 1400San Diego, CA 92101Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 619-235-5656
- Website: http://www.sdvlp.org
- Email: email@example.com
Since 1983, the San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program (SDVLP) has changed the lives of thousands of poor women, children and men throughout San Diego County. A private, non-profit organization, SDVLP is the county's oldest and largest pro bono legal services program.
SDVLP serves the most vulnerable members of our community: the homeless, abused children, domestic violence victims, elder abuse victims, veterans, immigrants and HIV/AIDS sufferers. Notably, more than 75% of SDVLP clients are women and children.
Pro Bono Project Description:
Area of Law: Domestic Violence (Temporary Restraining Orders, custody, visitation); Civil Harassment Restraining Orders; Elder Abuse Restraining Orders; Guardianship; HIV/AIDS, Landlord/Tenant; Immigration for domestic violence victims and foster-dependent youth (VAWA, U-Visa, SIJS); Special Education assistance for foster/dependent youth; Certain Civil Rights cases referred by Federal District Court, Non-profit organization assistance.
Attorneys are encouraged to participate at whatever level is convenient. Contact SDVLP.
- County of Volunteer Opportunity: San Diego
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Education, Elder Law, Family & Juvenile, HIV/AIDS, Housing, Immigration & Naturalization, Nonprofit Organizations, Law firms and attorneys are encouraged to participate at whatever level is convenient. Contact SDVLP
- Populations Served: Children, Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, General Public, HIV, Immigrants, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Military/Veterans, Native Americans, Nonprofits, Persons with Disabilities, State Residents, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Interpreters, Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors/consultants, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Does the organization provide malpractice insurance for volunteers? Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / supervision comments: Accredited CA Bar MCLE Provider
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- CLE pro bono comments: We provide free, yearly trainings that include MCLE credit in various areas of the law. Attendees are strongly suggested to volunteer with the organization during the year in exchange for the free MCLE credits.
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No