Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc.
- To Volunteer, Contact:
Please fill out our form online at this link: http://bit.ly/13F8ryZ
Administrative Offices: 2915 North Classen Boulevard, Suite 500Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 405-557-0020
- Fax: 405-524-1257
- Website: http://www.legalaidok.org
Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma is:
-a non-profit law firm
-serving the low-income and elderly
-who have civil (not criminal) legal problems.
Legal Aid serves all 77 counties in Oklahoma, with 22 offices throughout the state, with lawyers assigned to each county.
Legal Aid seeks to ensure basic needs for clients, especially those involving:
- Freedom from harm and violence
- Access to housing
- Freedom from hunger
- Access to health care
- Income maintenance for survival.
We help with civil legal problems like foreclosure, relationship abuse and divorce, debt collections, bankruptcy, eviction and, social security disability.
Legal Aid provides legal advice to Senior (60+) regardless of income Title III Older Americans grants through the Oklahoma Area Agencies on Aging.
Please support Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, contribute online here
- Location of Volunteer Opportunity: Oklahoma
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Health, HIV/AIDS, Homeless, Housing, Life Planning, Public Benefits, Taxes, Veterans
- Populations Served: Children, Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, General Public, HIV, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Military/Veterans, Native Americans, Persons with Disabilities, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Projects For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Mentors/consultants, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Chinese, Russian, Signers for the deaf, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, Weekends
- Malpractice Insurance for Volunteer Lawyers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / supervision comments: Several trainings are held each year across the state. Training materials are available in this website's password protected practice area, the Advocate Resource Center.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- CLE pro bono comments: Legal Aid holds FREE CLE trainings around the state at no cost to volunteer attorneys every year.
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Client intake and screening, Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Hotline staffing, Legislative or policy advocacy, Litigation: Appellate, Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Prepare legal education materials, Translate legal documents
- Long distance opportunities: Conduct Research, Draft or Translate Legal Documents, Mentor Volunteer Lawyers
- Other Long Distance Opportunities: write or edit legal information materials; fundraising,
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes