Central MN Legal Services Volunteer Attorney Program/St. Cloud Area
To Volunteer, Contact:
110 6th Avenue S, Suite 205St. Cloud, MN 56301
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 800-622-7773
- Fax: 320-253-9208
- Website: http://www.centralmnlegal.org/
Central Minnesota Legal Services’ Volunteer Attorney Program for the Saint Cloud area covers Benton, Chisago, Isanti, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, and Todd counties. Through the program attorneys agree to represent clients who are financially eligible for the local legal services program but are outside the local program staff priorities or who represent a conflict of interest for staff attorneys.
Volunteers are needed in the following areas: family law, mediation, debt collection defense, bankruptcy, landlord/tenant, real estate, guardianship/conservatorship, and wills. Attorneys are needed to provide extended representation, advice only, and to staff legal advice clinics for eligible clients. Attorneys are also needed to present on legal topics to community members and provide mentorship to newer volunteer attorneys. Attorneys choose the number and type of cases they wish to accept.
The program provides malpractice insurance to volunteer attorneys, reimbursement for travel, photocopies, telephone, and postage costs, free and reduced cost CLE credits, training materials, access to ProJusticeMN.org, and CLE credit for volunteer work.
- Counties of Volunteer Opportunity: Benton, Chisago, Isanti, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Housing, Life Planning, Taxes
- Populations Served: Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, General Public, Immigrants, Individuals with criminal histories, Individuals with physical/mental disabilities, Low Income, Native Americans, Persons with Disabilities, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Signers for the deaf: ASL, Somali, Spanish
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: Yes
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No