Legal Services of North Dakota
To Volunteer, Contact:
1025 Third Street NorthPO Box 1893Bismarck, ND 58502
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 800-634-5263
- Fax: 701-258-0043
- Website: http://www.legalassist.org
Legal Services of North Dakota (LSND) provides free legal assistance in civil cases to low-income or elderly people. It is the mission of LSND to protect and enhance the civil legal rights of, and promote systemic change, for North Dakotans living in poverty.
LSND seeks to increase the education and participation of the pro bono bar and community members in serving low-income clients. It encourages private attorneys to attend the regular CLE Programs offered in June and December.
Individual attorneys can volunteer to work through one of four Legal Services offices across the state: Bismarck, Minot, Fargo, and Belcourt. The program will match your substantive interests with the types of cases they refer. Your name will then be placed in a rotating referral list. While the greatest need is for direct representation, especially in housing and family law cases, participation in other cases and in other roles is quite possible. You may choose to assist as co-counsel in a major case, or simply offer consultation or training in your area of expertise.
- State of Volunteer Opportunity: North Dakota
- Area of law: Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Elder Law, Family & Juvenile, Health, Housing, Public Benefits, Indian Law
- Populations Served: Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, Low Income, Native Americans
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: No
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No