Support Center for Child Advocates
To Volunteer, Contact:
1900 Cherry StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19103
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 267-546-9200
- Fax: 267-546-9201
- Website: http://www.advokid.org
The Support Center for Child Advocates, founded in 1977, is the country's oldest and largest pro bono legal and social services agency for children. Their mission is to advocate for abused and neglected children in Philadelphia, with the goal of securing a permanent, nurturing environment for every child.
Description of Services: provides pro bono legal representation and social services to abused, neglected, abandoned and medically needy children in Philadelphia through the use of Child Advocates, who are specially trained volunteer attorneys who work with staff social workers and lawyers in child protection cases, adoption cases, kinship care cases, and cases involving medically needy children who are in the child welfare system.
- County of Volunteer Opportunity: Philadelphia
- Area of law: Family & Juvenile, Child abuse and neglect
- Populations Served: Children
- Malpractice insurance is provided for volunteers: Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: Yes
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / supervision comments: A Volunteers Training Workshop is offered twice a year, offering 6 CLE credits, including one ethics credit. Along with the workshop is a half-day courtroom observation program, mandatory for all volunteers.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- Mentoring or supervision offered: No
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: No