Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, Inc.
To Volunteer, Contact:
Please fill out our form online at this link: http://bit.ly/13F8ryZ
Administrative Offices: 2915 North Classen Boulevard, Suite 500Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Map: maps.google.com
- Phone: 405-557-0020
- Fax: 405-524-1257
- Website: http://www.legalaidok.org
- a non-profit law firm,
- serving the low-income and elderly,
- who have civil legal problems, and
- we serve all 77 counties in Oklahoma.
What's important to us?
Ensuring basic needs for clients, especially those involving:
* freedom from harm and violence,
* access to housing,
* freedom from hunger,
* access to health care, and,
* income maintenance for survival.
What are some of the benefits to you? 7 Reasons to Partner with Legal Aid for Pro Bono
Legal Aid staff attorneys available for consultation and mentoring
Assistance with litigation costs (must be pre-approved)
Interview rooms available for meetings with the client
Malpractice insurance coverage on Legal Aid referred cases (if you have your own, ours is secondary)
Free Continuing Legal Education seminars
Fifty-percent discount on many OBA CLE programs for 20 hours or more of pro bono service
Free access to our volunteer support website www.probono.net/ok
What kinds of cases do we accept?
We help with civil legal problems like foreclosure, relationship abuse and divorce, debt collection, bankruptcy, eviction and social security disability.
Please support Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, contribute online here
- State of Volunteer Opportunity: Oklahoma
- Area of law: Civil Rights, Consumer, Debt/Credit/Bankruptcy, Disability, Education, Elder Law, Employment, Family & Juvenile, Foreclosure, Health, HIV/AIDS, Homeless, Housing, Life Planning, Public Benefits, Taxes, Veterans
- Populations Served: Children, Communities of Color, Domestic Violence Victims, Elderly, General Public, HIV, Lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender, Low Income, Military/Veterans, Native Americans, Persons with Disabilities, Women, Working poor and unemployed
- Opportunities For: Law Students, Lawyers, Mentors, Mentors/consultants, Nonlitigation Projects, Paralegals, Senior Lawyers
- Need for non-English services: Chinese, Russian, Signers for the deaf, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Hours for Pro Bono Opportunities: Evenings, Flexible, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, Weekends
- Does the organization provide malpractice insurance for volunteers? Yes
- Training Provided: Yes
- Training Required: No
- CLE credit for trainings: Yes
- Training / supervision comments: Several trainings are held each year across the state. Training materials are available in this website's password protected practice area, the Advocate Resource Center.
- CLE credit for pro bono: No
- CLE pro bono comments: Legal Aid holds FREE CLE trainings around the state at no cost to volunteer attorneys every year. Check this page for upcoming events: http://www.probono.net/ok/cle
- Mentoring or supervision offered: Yes
- Volunteer lawyers need to meet a caseload or hours requirement: No
- Types of projects in need of Pro Bono help: Alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Client intake and screening, Client counseling (e.g., brief advice), Draft legal documents (e.g., briefs), Hotline staffing, Legislative or policy advocacy, Litigation: Appellate, Litigation: Trial/Direct Representation, Mentor volunteer lawyers or law students, Prepare legal education materials, Translate legal documents
- Long distance opportunities: Conduct Research, Draft or Translate Legal Documents, Mentor Volunteer Lawyers
- Other Long Distance Opportunities: write or edit legal information materials; fundraising,
- Volunteers may participate long-distance: Yes