Tax Issues for Immigrants
Wednesday, February 13
- By: The New York Immigration Coalition
- Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
The New York Immigration Coalition137-139 West 25th Street, 12th Floor(between 6th and 7th Avenues)New York, NYMap: maps.google.com
Jonathan VidalThe New York Immigration Coalition212-627-2227 ext. 227.
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
This training is geared toward legal practitioners and other advocates who have a limited background in tax issues as they pertain to immigrants and immigration proceedings. The training will discuss general tax issues relevant to low-income taxpayers, specifically emphasizing issues that affect immigrants. Topics to be covered include general information on how the U.S. tax system works, individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITINs), worker misclassification issues, benefits to filing a tax return (including claiming dependents, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and other credits), tax liability and collection issues, and a general overview of IRS disclosure policies. This training will be conducted by Anna Tavis and Sarah Dranoff of South Brooklyn Legal Services.
- CLE Credit Comments: CLE Credit: 3 credits in professional practice. This course provides transitional credit for newly admitted attorneys and non-transitional credit for experienced attorneys.
- Attachment(s): TI_Jan_Mar_13_Cal.pdf