NYLAG Storm Relief
Webinar: Storm Response Pro Bono Training I: Video and Materials (Nov 2012)
- Organization: New York Legal Assistance Group
- Author: Alison Sclater at email@example.com
- Document Type: Training materials
- Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2012
- Attachment: HTM | PDF
In the aftermath of Sandy, the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) has mobilized a "Storm Response Unit" to provide disaster relief for storm victims who now face an array of urgent legal issues. Since launching our program on November 3, 2012, we have been inundated with hundreds of requests for assistance. In order to handle this huge volume we are turning to our pro bono partners for help.
NYLAG, in partnership with Pro Bono Net, hosted a training for pro bono attorneys and other interested volunteers via a live webinar on Friday, November 9th from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm.
The 90-minute training covers the basics of storm-related legal issues, including:
- An overview of FEMA and other disaster relief programs, including types of available assistance and how to apply
- Housing issues, including landlord-tenant disputes, insurance claims and mortgage issues
- Accessing new and continuation benefits, including food stamps, public assistance and unemployment benefits
- Family law, consumer law and other general issues likely to be faced by storm victims
We also discuss how to volunteer with NYLAG's Storm Response Unit. Pro bono opportunities will include providing assistance alongside NYLAG staff at partner organizations throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Long Island and Westchester, as well as onboard NYLAG's innovative Mobile Legal Help Center, which is traveling into the hardest hit areas.Video of and materials from NYLAG and Probono.net's second storm response webinar are available at: www.probono.net/nylagstormrelief.
- Public Benefits