PIC/LAAC Announce 2009 Intro to Legal Services Online Trainings for Deferred Associates
Thursday, September 24, 2009
- Organization: Public Interest Clearinghouse and Legal Aid Association of California
The Public Interest Clearinghouse (PIC) and the Legal Aid Association of California (LAAC) are pleased to announce a FREE training series for deferred associates in public interest placements. The 2009 Intro to Legal Services Trainings for Deferred Associates course is designed as a 9-part series of webinars to introduce deferred associates to legal services work (including the structure of the community in CA and the history of legal services), some issue-spotting on core poverty law issues (housing, immigration, public benefits, etc) and an introduction to skills (client interviewing, cultural competency, etc.)
We would like to welcome all deferred associates at your organizations, as well as other new attorneys and other advocates, to join us for this training series. Please help us distribute this training announcement to your colleagues, staff, and advocates.
How Does it Work?
This webinar series consists of 1-hour FREE, live, interactive programs that you listen to and view online. The trainings will take place over lunch using conference call and web-based meetings - no travel, no cost - just great training. There is a question and answer period following the substantive lecture during the last 5-10 minutes of each program. Registrants receive emails before each training with the link and easy-to-follow instructions on how to join the online meeting. LAAC and PIC staff will assist with logging into the online meeting as needed.
2009 Intro to Legal Services Trainings for Deferred Associates
All trainings are held Mondays from noon to 1:00pm
To register for each training, please click on each highlighted link.
* October 5: Navigating the Legal Services Landscape in California (Presenter: Julia Wilson, PIC and LAAC)
* October 12: From JFK to Obama: A History of Legal Services (Presenter: Julia WIlson, PIC and LAAC)
* October 19: Cultural Competency 101 (Presenter: Karin Wang, Asian Pacific American Legal Center)
* October 26: Client Interviewing and Using LawHelpCA.org to Find Client Resources (Presenters: Salena Copeland and Vivian Chen, Legal Aid Association of California)
* November 2**: Everyday Ethics in Legal Aid (Presenter: Toby Rothschild, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles)
* November 9: Intro to Immigration in Legal Services (Presenter: Sally Kinoshita, Immigrant Legal Resource Center)
* November 16: Housing Issue-Spotting in Legal Services (Lynn Martinez, Western Center on Law & Poverty)
* November 23: Health Care for Low-Income People: It's Enough to Make You Sick! (Presenter: Randy Boyle, National Health Law Program)
* December 7: Public Benefits 101 (Presenter: Nu Usaha, Western Center on Law & Poverty)
Each webinar is approved for one hour of MCLE general credit. The Legal Aid Association of California is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.
** This webinar is approved for one hour of MCLE Legal Ethics credit.
You may also visit CALegalAdvocates.org to register. For questions regarding this online training series, please contact Vivian Chen, LAAC Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.