Re-Entry Issues: Overcoming Employment and Housing Challenges Due to a Prior Arrest or Conviction
Friday August 16 , 2013
- By: PLI
- Time: 12:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
PLI California Center685 Market StreetSan Francisco and Webinar, CAMap: maps.google.com
- Website: www.pli.edu
Why you should attend
In the past three decades, incarceration rates have exploded in the U.S., such that today we incarcerate over two million people, more than any other country in the world. The result is that many more people encounter the criminal justice system at some point in their lives. Indeed, an estimated 1 in 4 adults in California has an arrest or conviction record, and people of color are disproportionately affected.
A person with a prior record faces significant employment and housing barriers, even when the record is old or unrelated to the job or housing. These barriers impede community reintegration and prevent formerly incarcerated people from being able to support themselves and their families or contribute to their communities. This training is designed to give lawyers a foundation in the collateral consequences that result from contact with the criminal justice system, as well as tools for representing clients in need of reentry legal services.
What you will learn
- Basic overview of criminal justice system and collateral consequences of arrests/convictions
- Criminal records remedies (also known as "expungement")
- Employment rights and protections
- Housing rights and protections
- Laws pertaining to background checks
- Laws pertaining to occupational licensing and appealing a license denial based on conviction history
Who should attend
All attorneys interested in or currently assisting pro bono clients with reentry legal services through representation or in clinical settings, law firm pro bono coordinators, managers and partners, law clinic students and faculty, and public interest and non-profit organization attorneys and staff would benefit from attending this program.
PLI Can Arrange Group Viewing to Your Firm
Contact the Groupcasts department via email at email@example.com for more details.
- CLE Credit Comments: NY: 3.5 Professional Practice credits