Prison Law 2012
Friday August 03 , 2012
- By: Practising Law Institute
- Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
Practising Law Institute810 Seventh AvenueNew York , NYMap: maps.google.com
Leonard McKenziePractising Law Institutelmckenzie@pli.edu212-824-5826
- Website: bit.ly
Why you should attend
Whether representing prisoners while in private practice, public interest practice or as a policy advocate, the issues and the environment in which advocates operate is increasingly challenging and complex. This year, PLI's third annual program on Prison Law will address the legal framework for civil litigation filed on behalf of prisoners in federal and state courts, from a national perspective.
What you will learn
• The constitutional, statutory, and state law bases for lawsuits brought on behalf of prisoners against individual prison officials and correctional institutions
• How to address common ethical dilemmas that arise in the course of representing prisoners
• The "nuts and bolts" of pleading, discovery, and trial practice in prison cases
• General prison conditions and the failure to protect
• Addressing health issues in prison
Who should attend
Prisoners' rights advocates working in law or public policy, in the private or public sector.
Cost: $395.00 *
*Full scholarships to PLI's live seminars and webcasts are available to judges, judicial law clerks, law professors, law students, attorneys 65 or older, law librarians, attorneys who work for nonprofit organizations, legal services organizations or government agencies, and unemployed attorneys. Attorneys in private practice who seek to learn skills that will assist them in pro bono activities are encouraged to apply.
Please contact Leonard McKenzie at 212-824-5826 for additional information.
- CLE Credit Comments: CLE-NY Credits Credit Status: Approved Transitional: Yes outside of US Total Credits: 7.50 Ethics: 1.00 Professional Practice: 6.50 CLE-NJ Credits Credit Status: Approved Total Credits: 7.80 Ethics: 1.20 General: 6.60 PLI's live programs are approved in all states that require mandatory continuing legal education for attorneys. Please visit our website for additional State CLE information.
- Attachment(s): Scholarship_Application 2012.pdf