JOB OPENING: Asian Language Staff Attorney
Friday, January 05, 2007
- Organization: Sanctuary for Families
Asian Language Staff Attorney for the Community Liaison Project
Sanctuary for Families' Center for Battered Women's Legal Services seeks an attorney for its Community Liason Project. The Center for Battered Women's Legal Services, founded in 1988, provides representation and advocacy to domestic violence victims in family, immigration, and criminal proceedings.
The Project provides education and outreach to New York City's immigrant communities, technical assistance to community-based organizations (CBOs) serving them, and culturally and linguistically competent legal representation to domestic violence victims referred by these CBOs. The attorney's duties include:
• maintaining a caseload of family law matters on behalf of primarily non-English speaking Asian immigrant victims of domestic violence;
• recruiting and supervising law student interns and pro bono lawyers;
• developing strong relationships with CBOs serving Asian immigrant victims of domestic violence, including providing technical assistance and trainings;
• organizing and providing education and outreach to the Asian community;
• execution of the Project's joint education and outreach efforts to CBOs, judges, and law enforcement officials.
Fluency in an Asian language and a minimum of three years of family law or litigation experience required. J.D. degree and admission to the New York Bar is required. Must have strong analytical, writing, and public speaking skills. Applicants must enjoy working in a collaborative, fast-paced environment and must be highly competent in issues of cultural, ethnic, and racial diversity, particularly as they relate to the Asian community.
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Fax or e-mail resume with short cover letter to:
Co-Director, Community Liaison Project
Center for Battered Women's Legal Services
Sanctuary for Families
Tel: 212-349-6009, ext. 259
Sanctuary for Families is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.