JOB OPENING: Staff Attorney
Monday, September 25, 2006
- Organization: Day One
Job Description: Staff Attorney
Day One seeks a Staff Attorney to join its legal staff in delivering direct legal services to young victims of domestic violence. The attorney must be an experienced advocate who works equally well with at-risk youth, community leaders, social service providers and volunteers. The Staff Attorney reports to the Executive Director of Day One and supervises volunteers and interns.
Day One Overview
Day One partners with New York City youth to end dating abuse and domestic violence through community education, legal advocacy, supportive services, and leadership development. All of Day One's programs operate on an empowerment model that invests young people in maintaining safe relationships for themselves and their peers. Day One's Community Education Program trains youth and adults about dating abuse and the law, and collaborates with interdisciplinary advocates through its Coalition Against Teen Relationship Abuse. The Legal Services Program provides direct representation, advice and information to youth. Through the Peer Leadership Program, Day One organizes youth who participate in implementing preventive education and awareness projects among their peers and other youth. Serving citywide youth between the ages of 12 and 22, Day One devotes all of its resources to the issue of relationship abuse among young people. All of Day One's services for youth are bilingual and provided free of charge.
Responsibilities of Staff Attorney
• Representing clients in domestic violence-related court proceedings
• Providing advice, safety planning and/or referral services to young people
• Coordinating interdisciplinary partnership with other youth-serving providers offering counseling and therapeutic services for youth
• Conducting community outreach and awareness activities related to teen relationship abuse
• Assisting in implementation of preventive education programs among youth, caregivers and professionals
• Forging collaborations with other community-based organizations
• Helping coordinate the bimonthly Coalition Against Teen Relationship Abuse
• Developing materials for volunteers, clients and the community at large
• Legal research and writing
• Admission to the New York State Bar
• Bilingual in Spanish and English strongly preferred
• Legal background working with youth and/or domestic violence victims
• Knowledge of additional areas of law including housing, public benefits and immigration a plus
• Strong research, writing and verbal communication skills
• Creativity, energy, and a sense of humor
• Background working with individuals in crisis, indigent communities and diverse groups of people
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience. Day One offers a generous benefits package, including but not limited to health, dental and flexible spending accounts, 401(k), 403(b) retirement plan and vacation.
To Apply: Fax resume and cover letter to 212.566.8121, or email, as a single Word attachment, both a resume and a cover letter to Snilva@dayoneny.org.
Letters/resumes can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 538
Church Street Station
New York, NY 10008.
We regret that only applicants considered for the position will be contacted by Day One.
Day One is an Equal Opportunity Employer.