Providing Legal Services to LGBT Clients and Families with Low or No Income Post-Windsor
Thursday, November 07
- By: Legal Services NYC
- Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
Legal Services NYC - Central40 Worth StreetSuite 606New York, NYMap: maps.google.com
Legal Services NYC Learning Center
- Website: www.learningcenter.legalservicesnyc.org
This training will be a comprehensive overview of the legal rights and protections afforded by marriage post the United State Supreme Court case United States v. Windsor, which struck down Section 3 of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) as unconstitutional.
Part One of the training will focus on the ethical obligation of providing services to LGBT clients and families with low or no income. The panel will provide an update on the state of marriage equality litigation and legislation throughout the country post-Windsor. The panel will also discuss the impact of Windsor on relationship recognition and parent-child relationships.
Part Two of the training will provide general information on changes to federal and New York State regulations and rules post-Windsor and its impact on same-sex couples, transgender individuals and couples, people living with HIV and immigrants. The training will focus on specific federal and state level policy and regulation changes in immigration, public assistance, public and federally-subsidized housing, Medicare and Medicaid, and state and federal tax.
Register at http://www.learningcenter.legalservicesnyc.org.
- Audrey Carr - Director of Immigration and Special Programs - Legal Services NYC
- Tanya Douglas - Director, DAP Unit - Manhattan Legal Services
- Ivan Espinoza-Madrigal - Legal Director - The Center for HIV Law & Policy
- Virginia Goggin - Project Coordinator, LGBT Law Project - New York Legal Assistance Group
- Richard Saenz - Staff Attorney, HIV/LGBT Advocacy Project - Queens Legal Services
- CLE Credit Comments: Ethics and Professionalism: 0.50 Areas of Professional Practice: 2.50
- Attachment(s): Training Announcement 11-7-13.pdf