Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- FTC Increases Deterrence with Stepped Up Enforcement of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Mar 5
- Debt-Buyer Lawsuits and Inaccurate Data, Mar 1
- FTC Starts Sending Out Checks in Debt Collection Case , Feb 28
- Now you have better options to dispute a credit report error, Feb 27
- Anticipating a New Regulatory Regime For Debt Collection – Part 2 , Feb 27
- Appellate Court Has Harsh Words for Activist Judge in Debt Collection Case , Feb 27
- A Call to Give Consumers Their Credit Scores Free, Feb 27
- Report: Mistaken Identity Tops Debt Collection Complaints, Feb 27
- View more