Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- A Fairer Shot for Student Debtors , Sep 7
- Circuit Court Rules Dispute in Writing Not Needed to Sue Under FDCPA , Sep 5
- Credit Card Offers Are Not Always What They Seem, Sep 5
- Department of Education criticized for how it pays debt collectors to chase student loan dollars, Sep 4
- Should employers check your credit?, Sep 4
- Circuit Court: Visible Account Number in Collection Letter is an FDCPA Violation , Aug 29
- CFPB Readying Action Against College Over Debt Sales and Collection Methods , Aug 27
- CFPB Takes Action Against Global Client Solutions for Processing Illegal Debt-Settlement Fees, Aug 25
- View more