Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Second Circuit: Transfer of Mortgage Servicing Rights Triggers FDCPA Disclosure Requirement, Sep 1
- Navient May Be CFPB’s Next Target For Legal Action , Aug 27
- Eleventh Circuit Court Cites “Plain Language” of the FDCPA, Rules in Favor of Capital One in Debt Collection Case , Aug 27
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals Clarifies the Meaning Of “Debt Collector” under the FDCPA, Aug 27
- Third Circuit Holds Debt Collector Bears Burden of Proving FDCPA Exception to Third Party Contact , Aug 25
- Why the City's Credit Check Law Is Necessary, Aug 24
- City's Credit Law Tackles Serious Discrimination, Aug 24
- How the attempt to fix student loans got bogged down by the middlemen, Aug 23
- View more