Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Here’s what we’re hearing from Servicemembers and their families, Apr 27
- Supreme Court to consider whether violation of consumer statute is enough to confer standing if plaintiff unharmed, Apr 27
- Embattled for-profit Corinthian Colleges closes its doors, Apr 26
- Midland Credit Management Settles with New York City Department of Consumer Affairs, Apr 24
- FTC Launching Series of Live “Dialogues” with Debt Collection Industry; New York Up First , Apr 24
- A senator calls attention to the struggle of seniors losing Social Security benefits to student debt, Apr 23
- City of Yonkers, New York Imposes New Debt Collection Requirements, Apr 23
- Backlog Forces CFPB to Slow Down New Investigations, Apr 22
- View more