Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Inside the ECMC-Corinthian Deal: Will Students Be Protected?, Jan 23
- FTC Sues to Stop Texas Debt Collector From Coercing Consumers by Falsely Claiming it Will Bring Legal Action Against Them, Garnish Their Wages, Jan 21
- FTC Issues Follow-Up Study on Credit Report Accuracy, Jan 21
- Who’s Looking Out for the Students? , Jan 20
- ED’s Student Loan Collection Contract to be Further Delayed for Large Companies , Jan 20
- The Allure of Easy Money: Does the U.S. government need to regulate payday loans? , Jan 20
- Cuomo to Offer Plan to Cut College Graduates’ Debt, Jan 18
- Group Urges New York City to End Credit Checks by Employers, Jan 15
- View more