Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- The Inconvenient Reality of Convenience Fees , May 18
- Second Circuit Decision Provides Resolution on Disclosure of Tax Consequences in Settlement Offers , May 15
- CFPB Begins Probe Of Student Loan Servicers, Signaling Stronger Rules, May 14
- Which For-Profit Colleges Will Shut Down Next?, May 14
- CFPB Launches Public Inquiry Into Student Loan Servicing Practices, May 14
- Next Step in CFPB Debt Collection Rulemaking? , May 12
- New York City Largely Bans Employers from Considering Consumer Credit History, May 11
- The Examiners: Discharge Private Student Loans, But Federal Loans Have Safety Net , May 11
- View more