Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Unauthorized/improper electronic payments: NACHA comments due January 13, Dec 10
- Consumer Watchdog to Monitor Student Loan Servicers, Dec 3
- New York Subpoenas Websites in an Effort to Curb Payday Lenders, Dec 2
- Banks as Payday Lenders, Dec 2
- It's getting harder to process, Dec 1
- America’s next big rip-off: Cars are the next subprime crisis! , Nov 27
- Todd Zywicki's Remarks at the NARCA Debt Collection Symposium, Nov 27
- CFPB What Have You Done for Me Lately? The Cash America Case, For One Thing , Nov 27
- View more