Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Prosecutors Scrutinize Minority Borrowers’ Auto Loans, Mar 30
- Bumpy Road for Bill to Ban Credit Checks for Job Applicants, Mar 29
- Progress on Payday Lending, Mar 28
- Collection claims abuses move up to higher courts, Mar 28
- CFPB Considers Proposal to End Payday Debt Traps, Mar 26
- Payday Loan Rules Proposed by Consumer Protection Agency, Mar 26
- Auto Title Loans Market practices and borrowers' experiences , Mar 25
- Prepaid Card Overdraft Fees Cost Consumers over $50 Million , Mar 24
- View more