Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Court Halts Debt Collector’s Operations, Freezes Assets, Jul 21
- In a Subprime Bubble for Used Cars, Borrowers Pay Sky-High Rates, Jul 19
- Payday Lenders Set the Debt Trap, Jul 19
- CFPB Proposal Would Give Consumers the Opportunity to Publicly Voice Complaints About Financial Companies, Jul 16
- CFPB Files Suit Against Debt Collection Lawsuit Mill, Jul 14
- Companies That Offer Help With Student Loans Are Often Predatory, Officials Say, Jul 13
- Flunking Out, at a Price, Jul 12
- CFPB Launches Inquiry Into Mobile Financial Services, Jul 11
- View more