Welcome to the NYC Consumer Debt Defense Project!
Join this site if you are a volunteer attorney, legal services advocate, law student, NACA member, or law school faculty member advising low-income consumers in debt collection litigation.
What can you find here?
Library - Browse our collection of sample papers, training materials, news items, reports, scholarly journals, and legislative testimony.
Calendar - Discover trainings, events, and webinars related to debt collection defense and consumer law.
News - Stay tuned in to the latest news, changes in the law, and requests for comments by government agencies.
Podcasts & Webinars - Listen to audio podcasts with consumer law practitioners on the latest developments in consumer law, and watch webinars on a variety of substantive consumer law topics.
Listserv - Subscribe to New York Debt listserv and search our archives.
Helpful Links - Check out these links to resources that may be helpful for your pro bono or nonprofit debt collection defense practice.
- Debt Collection Bills Advance in Western States , May 17
- Americans with an Account in Third Party Collections Hits All-Time High…Again , May 15
- How Bad Credit Keeps People Unemployable, And Why It Shouldn’t , May 15
- 'Like a drug': Payday loan users hooked on quick-cash cycle , May 11
- The Long Shadow of Bad Credit in a Job Search , May 11
- California suing JPMorgan over debt-collection practices , May 9
- Debt Consolidation USA Applauds the New Consumer Credit Fairness Act That Aims to Protect New Yorkers From Abusive Collectors , May 9
- CFPB lays out options for easing repayment of private student loans , May 8
- View more