LSNY Hiring for Director of Language Access and Immigration
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
- Organization: LSNY
LEGAL SERVICES NYC
LEGAL SUPPORT UNIT
350 Broadway, NY, NY 10013 • (646) 442-3600 • Fax (646) 442- 3609
NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
Director of Immigration and Language Access Advocacy
Legal Services NYC seeks an experienced immigration attorney to supervise, coordinate and direct our immigration law practice and Language Access Project. The ideal candidate will have litigation and policy advocacy experience, training experience and extensive experience working with limited English proficient (LEP) clients, immigrant communities and immigrant advocacy organizations.
In close consultation with local program project directors and supervisors, the Director will provide supervision and support for our immigration law advocates; help to develop an integrated, citywide, high-impact immigration practice, including affirmative litigation and advocacy work; identify training needs and develop CLE trainings; schedule and facilitate regular meetings of advocates to discuss legal and policy issues; and conduct outreach about Legal Services NYC's immigration law services.
In addition, the Director will supervise and oversee the continued development of our Language Access Project, staffed by our Language Access Project coordinator. The Project seeks to increase access to services and justice for low-income LEP New Yorkers by improving access to our own services and challenging discriminatory practices that prevent LEP clients from getting the benefits and services to which they are entitled. The Director will supervise and engage in the following activities to advance the mission of the Project: identify language access barriers to legal and other services faced by our clients; litigate and commence policy advocacy with Legal Services NYC advocates on language access issues; increase Legal Services NYC staff capacity to serve LEP clients by training interpreters, case handlers and support staff; coordinate translation and interpreting services for LSNY clients and staff; and work with community organizations that serve immigrant communities and their clients.
• At least five years experience and significant substantive knowledge in immigration law and litigation
• Experience in policy advocacy in the areas of immigration, civil rights, or other substantive areas involving poverty advocacy matters
• Experience working with LEP clients and with immigrant community groups that work with those who speak languages other than English
• Knowledge of the role of interpretation and translation in providing legal services
• Experience and comfort leading trainings, facilitating meetings and public speaking
• Experience with outreach work, community organizing and/or other relevant experience
• A strong desire and ability to mentor developing attorneys and to energize advocates about the importance of immigration and language access work
• Outstanding written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Project management experience
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Supervisory experience is desirable, but not required
• Bi-lingual Spanish or other language spoken by legal services client communities is required.
Legal Services NYC is the largest provider of civil legal services to low-income persons in the country. Our programs serve thousands of clients each year in the areas of housing, family law, government benefits, disability, employment, immigration and education through a network of 16 neighborhood-based offices.
The Legal Support Unit leads and supports Legal Services NYC staff in delivering high quality, high impact litigation and advocacy services on behalf of low income individuals, families and communities in New York City. The LSU also supports the professional development of the poverty advocacy community and works with that community to realize goals that benefit low income communities throughout New York City.
Salary is based on experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Jobpostings@ls-nyc.org including Job #86-2008 on Subject Line.
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Bar Associations and other organizations: Legal Services NYC- Legal Support Unit seeks and welcomes your recommendations for candidates who meet the foregoing qualifications and, in addition, requests that you or your organization encourage such candidates to apply.
Job 86-2008 posted 12-9-2008