Pro Bono Net – Pro Bono Coordinator
Pro Bono Net, a national nonprofit organization using innovative technology to increase legal assistance for the poor, seeks a highly qualified candidate to spearhead pro bono recruitment campaigns and support and maintain partnerships with nonprofit legal aid organizations in New York and nationally building legal resource web sites to serve pro bono, legal aid and other public interest legal advocates. This full-time position reports to the Deputy Director and is based in New York City.
New York Program Development and Support
- Coordinate a new collaborative project among NYC legal services providers to develop online resources for attorneys working on consumer debt cases, including automated court forms, and a new probono.net/ny practice area featuring training resources and multimedia content.
- Work closely more than ten different pro bono and legal aid programs that host substantive law practice areas on www.probono.net/ny to leverage Pro Bono Net’s online resources for pro bono recruitment and support.
- Spearhead development of new online practice areas on www.probono.net/ny to support private bar and public interest collaboration in New York.
- Participate in committees and network meetings for New York City and State organizations interested in pro bono.
National Program Development and Support
- Coordinate and support key national and international initiatives that host substantive law practice areas on probono.net, including military pro bono, death penalty, and prisoner’s rights, among others.
- Identify and develop opportunities for new collaborations and program expansion.
- Make presentations at law firms, law schools, conferences, and other venues to encourage pro bono involvement and educate the private bar about resources to support volunteers.
- Provide program support to pro bono projects for other state www.lawhelp.org and www.probono.net projects as needed.
Capacity-Building and Administration
- Participate in program funding activities, including grant writing and reporting.
- Work with host organizations and other PBN staff to identify improvements and new features on the probono.net and LawHelp.org websites.
- Collaborate with other PBN program staff to design and deliver both in-person and webinar trainings for probono.net and LawHelp.org partners.
- Maintain reporting systems to document work and share knowledge in an efficient manner.
- Participate in national industry email lists and other social networks.
- JD and 3+ years of legal experience, including pro bono work, required; experience in pro bono program management and/or nonprofit legal organizations strongly preferred and highly valued.
- Web-savvy and fluent in the discussion of web-based tools; demonstrated ability and strong interest in using technology to support innovative approaches to service delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects, work well with people, and foster and facilitate collaboration.
- Detail oriented and highly organized, with ability to multitask, establish priorities and achieve results.
- Confident and skilled communicator (written and verbal), particularly the ability to make technology understandable to people without a technical background.
- Must be a self-starter who is comfortable working independently on projects in a fast paced organization and taking on new pilot initiatives.
- Ability to adapt to new ideas in a positive way; flexible approach to unexpected changes in priorities and ability to respond to the needs/expectations of diverse stakeholders.
- Willingness and ability to travel several times a year.
- Sense of humor required.
Pro Bono Net (PBN) works in close partnership with other nonprofit legal organizations across the U.S. and Canada to increase access to justice for poor and moderate-income people. It does so by (i) supporting technology innovation by the nonprofit legal sector, (ii) increasing participation by volunteers, and (iii) facilitating collaborations among advocates working on similar issues or in the same region. Pro Bono Net’s programs include LawHelp.org, probono.net, Pro Bono Manager, and LawHelp Interactive. To learn more about Pro Bono Net’s programs, visit http://www.probono.net/about/item.Mission.
Email resume, three references, and cover letter to email@example.com with Pro Bono Coordinator in the subject heading. No calls or faxes please. Application deadline: May 31, 2012. Interviews on rolling basis. Pro Bono Net is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.