Pro Bono Net - National Support Coordinator
Pro Bono Net, a national nonprofit organization using innovative technology to increase legal assistance for poor persons, seeks immediately a highly qualified candidate to function as a National Support Coordinator. This position will be based in
This position will provide targeted project consulting to nonprofit legal aid organizations developing and expanding legal resource web sites to serve clients, lawyers, and pro bono volunteers. Note: this position is known as a “Circuit Rider” within the legal services community.
Pro Bono Net is a nonprofit organization that works in close partnership with nonprofit legal organizations across the country to increase access to justice for poor and moderate-income people. It seeks to do so through (i) supporting the innovative and effective use of technology by the nonprofit legal sector, (ii) increasing participation by volunteers, and (iii) facilitating collaborations among nonprofit legal organizations and advocates working on similar issues or in the same region.
Currently almost thirty regions are using Pro Bono Net’s tools to deliver web-based self-help legal resources for low-income persons facing legal problems and provide online support for legal advocates working on behalf of the poor. These statewide website projects bring together representatives from legal services programs, pro bono projects, courts, law schools, libraries and social service organizations across the state to collaborate and coordinate their development. To view existing statewide web sites, visit www.lawhelp.org and www.probono.net.
Pro Bono Net seeks a National Support Coordinator to assist our partner organizations as they implement, maintain and expand their statewide web sites. The National Support Coordinator will provide strategic, editorial and technological advice; work to increase involvement by groups and individuals with a strong interest in access to justice; and serve as a critical communication link between the states. Although the National Support Coordinator will troubleshoot site software issues with states, this is not a technology support position. The National Support Coordinator will help website project coordinators in each state understand how to best generate and maintain legal content, work with project stakeholders, market their www.lawhelp.org and www.probono.net sites, integrate their sites with service delivery, and evaluate their effectiveness. Additionally, the National Support Coordinator will develop resource materials for web site coordinators; facilitate regular meetings among state partners; and travel on-site to problem-solve project issues, conduct outreach and promote the project to diverse audiences.
Community Organizing and Consulting
- Support the planning, deployment and maintenance of LawHelp.org and probono.net statewide websites;
- Coordinate and lead monthly meetings with assigned states;
- Facilitate discussions among multiple service providers, courts, and community organizations within each state regarding creating and sharing online resources;
- Facilitate use of collaborative support tools, e.g., email lists, model documents, online user guides and training materials, and content management tools;
- Visit states partners to provide training, problem solving assistance, and cultivate new partnerships;
- Work with host organizations to identify improvements and new features on the site.
Training and Resource Development
- Work with other PBN staff to continue development of existing project support program for state partners;
- Conduct virtual and on-site trainings for host organizations on site administration procedures and substantive project issues;
- Make presentations at law firms, conferences, and other venues around the country to gain support for project and cultivate community partnerships;
- Coordinate special development projects as needed;
- Write resource articles for state partners discussing site administration procedures and substantive project issues;
- Maintain an online support site for state partners with resources on best practices for developing and maintaining content, maintaining and managing the sites, marketing the sites, and other key issues;
- Participate as a moderator and/or trainer in national industry conferences;
- Assist in grant proposal development and reporting
Administration and Partnerships
- Coordinate and communicate closely with all PBN staff in San Francisco, New York and Baltimore;
- Participate in regular meetings with other industry circuit riders and national partners;
- Create and maintain reporting systems among multiple organizations to document work with each state in an efficient and effective manner; and
- Participate in national industry email lists.
- Strong self-motivation and initiative required;
- 2+ years experience working with public interest legal organizations, or significant technical expertise required;
- Undergraduate degree required, graduate degree in a related field preferred;
- Very web-savvy and fluent in the discussion of web-based tools required; demonstrated interest in the application of technology preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people, coordinate team projects, and communicate effectively;
- Excellent and proven project management skills;
- Ability to foster and facilitate collaborations creatively;
- Comfortable with public speaking and training;
- Excellent communication and writing skills, particularly the ability to make technology understandable to people without technical skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly to national conferences and field visits with state partners;
- Sense of humor required;
- Based in San Francisco.
Pro Bono Net is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Email resume, references, and cover letter to email@example.com. Deadline is September 20, 2008.