Consent Decree in New Orleans Demolition Litigation
- Organization: New Orleans Legal Assistance
- Author: David Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Document Type: Settlements
- Creation Date: Friday, January 25, 2008
- Submitted: Friday, January 25, 2008
- Attachment: PDF
The City of New Orleans has entered a settlement in a class action, challenging its premature demolition of houses without proper notice and procedures. The settlement covers only what the city will do in the future; it does not provide for damages. (Some kind of damage claims may still be pending in the case.)
The agreement specifies the notice to be given property owners, their right to object within 20 days, which suspends any adverse action, and rights to a hearing.
The settlement remains in effect unti 1/24/09.