Probono.net Seeks LawHelp Program Associate
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
- Organization: Probono.net
Pro Bono Net - LawHelp Program Associate
Pro Bono Net, a national nonprofit organization using innovative technology to increase legal
assistance for poor people, seeks a highly motivated candidate to join our program staff team.
This position will provide technical and project support to nonprofit legal aid organizations in
states building legal resource web sites to serve clients, lawyers, and pro bono volunteers. This
is a great position for someone who is passionate about the power of technology and excited to
work across an entire nonprofit sector. This position can be based in either San Francisco or
New York City.
Pro Bono Net is a nonprofit organization with offices in both New York City and San Francisco
that works in close partnership with nonprofit legal organizations across the country to increase
access to justice for poor and moderate-income people. It seeks to do so through (i) supporting
the innovative and effective use of technology by the nonprofit legal sector, (ii) increasing
participation by volunteers, and (iii) facilitating collaborations among nonprofit legal
organizations and advocates working on similar issues or in the same region.
Currently almost thirty regions are using Pro Bono Net's tools to build web-based self-help legal
resources for low-income persons facing legal problems, as well as online support forums for
legal advocates working on behalf of the poor. These statewide website projects bring together
representatives from legal services programs, pro bono projects, courts, law schools, libraries and
social service organizations across the state to collaborate and coordinate their development. To
view existing statewide web sites, visit www.lawhelp.org and www.probono.net.
• Work as part of a team to support the planning, deployment and maintenance of our
partner web sites.
• Provide regular customer support to partner organizations on technology-related issues.
• Manage online partner support site and keep program materials up to date.
• Coordinate e-communication vehicles, including monthly training e-calendars, Tips of
the Week, content and software support updates.
• Setup and configure partner websites using PBN's web-based content management
system (CMS). No programming required.
• Keep abreast of program opportunities and developments in legal services technology.
• Represent organization at industry conferences as needed.
Training and Resource Development
• Work as part of program team to provide technical training and support to new and
existing web-based projects.
• Develop and conduct "virtual" trainings for nonprofit partner organizations around the
country on site tools and related topics.
• Create and update support documentation, including technical guides.
• Coordinate and support special development projects as needed.
• Interface with internal technology development team to help troubleshoot technical issues
and provide programmatic guidance on functional specifications as needed.
• Provide technical assistance and support to other program staff.
• Compile and analyze Web site usage statistics for reporting.
• Support other program development activities as needed.
• Strong self-motivation and initiative required;
• Breadth of knowledge of and interest in web-based tools and standards such as HTML,
Content Management Systems, RSS and social media as well as an interest in emerging web
• Experience producing and manipulating multimedia content for the Web preferred;
• Excellent communication and writing skills, particularly the ability to make technology
understandable to people without technical skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work well with people and coordinate team projects;
• Demonstrated multi-tasking and prioritization skills;
• Demonstrated interest in the nonprofit sector and/or public interest law;
• Sense of humor required;
• Flexibility to adapt to changing needs;
• College degree recommended.
Pro Bono Net is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and people with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com with LawHelp Program Associate in the
subject heading. No calls please. Only short-list candidates will be contacted. Application
deadline is June 15, 2008.