JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
- Organization: Orleans Public Defender
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Orleans Public Defender
Location: Orleans Public Defender
2700 Tulane Ave, 1st floor
New Orleans, LA
Opening Date: September 19, 2007
Closing Date: December 30, 2007
The Orleans Public Defenders (OPD) is an independent legal office providing representation to indigent defendants in Orleans Parish. The OPD is committed to excellence in the provision of legal services for indigent defendants and client-centered representation that respects the humanity and dignity of those accused of crimes. Further details are available at the OPD website, at http://www.orleanspublicdefenders.org.
The OPD seeks motivated and talented criminal defense attorneys with at least four years full-time criminal defense experience to join the OPD office. Supervisory lawyers will benefit from a several month in-house supervision and management training program featuring nationally-renowned faculty. Supervisory lawyers' responsibilities at OPD will include providing supervision to OPD lawyers and investigators, handling limited caseloads of serious felonies, and discrete management tasks.
The positions are full-time. The rate of pay will be commensurate with experience.
• At least four years experience as a criminal defense attorney;
• Demonstrated skill and experience in the delivery of criminal defense services at the trial level;
• Demonstrated strengths in team work and the supervision and motivation of others;
• Demonstrated innovation and creativity in the provision of indigent defense services;
• Demonstrated skill in legal research and writing;
• Demonstrated commitment to working with clients in poverty and from diverse cultural backgrounds;
• Knowledge of and commitment to the national standards of criminal defense performance;
• Proficiency with word processor software and legal research software;
• Membership in Louisiana bar or willingness to take Louisiana bar exam at first opportunity.
• Demonstrated skill and experience in providing supervision and/or training;
• Experience working in an established public defender office that provides services consistent with the OPD mission of excellence in the provision of legal services for indigent defendants and client-centered representation that respects the humanity and dignity of those accused of crimes.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send: a cover letter explaining your interest in the position; a resume; a writing sample of at least ten pages; and a list of three references to Chris Flood, Deputy Chief of Trials, Orleans Public Defenders, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred), fax at 504-821-5285, or mail at 2601 Tulane Ave., New Orleans, LA 70119. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Minority and female applicants are especially encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted through December 30, 2007, but offers will be made on a rolling basis.