Equal Justice After Hours: An event supporting Iowa Legal Aid featuring Frank Deford
Wednesday, May 02, 2012
- Organization: Iowa Legal Aid Foundation
- Award winning author and commentator
- Featured Wednesday mornings on NPR’s Morning Edition.
- Senior correspondent on the HBO show RealSports With Bryant Gumbel.
- Senior Contributing Writer at Sports Illustrated.
- Author of sixteen books, with his most recent an autobiography set to be released May 1 entitled Over Time: My Life as a Sportswriter
Many of Mr. Deford’s commentaries illustrate the parallels between athletic competition and the human condition with the concept of fairness chief among them.
The event will also feature the induction of the late Nicholas Drees into the Iowa Legal Aid Hall of Fame. Nick worked as a public defender starting in 1991 and joined the office of the Federal Public Defender in 1994. Through his professional and volunteer services, his life’s work reflected his commitment to equal justice for all.
Where:Temple for the Performing Arts, Des Moines
When: Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Sponsors reception with Frank Deford from 5:00-6:30 p.m.
General reception from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Program at 6:30 p.m.
For information on sponsorship levels and tickets contact:
Terri Bennett at 515.243.2980 x 1611 or email@example.com
To view the matrix of Sponsorship Opportunities – 2012 EJAH sponsor matrix
The Iowa Legal Aid Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports the critical legal assistance provided to low-income Iowans by Iowa Legal Aid. *Iowa Legal Aid helps the legal system work for those who otherwise cannot afford the help of a lawyer. Typical cases involve problems with basic necessities, fundamental rights or safety, including:
- Protecting victims of domestic violence.
- Preventing illegal evictions and unsafe housing.
- Securing income support such as SSI, Medicaid and disability benefits.
- Preventing consumer fraud and abusive debt collection practices.
The Iowa Legal Aid Foundation helps support this work by providing leadership in fundraising on behalf of Iowa Legal Aid. All of the funds raised by the Foundation go to support the work of Iowa Legal Aid in providing for the legal needs of low-income Iowans.