JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Staff Trial Attorney
Friday, June 10, 2005
- Organization: Mississippi Office of Capital Defense Counsel
The Mississippi Office of Capital Defense Counsel is seeking applicants for the position of staff attorney. The office is a state agency created to provide representation to indigent defendants charged with death penalty eligible offenses at trial and on direct appeal. The office is located in Jackson and handles cases statewide. Travel is required. The position is fulltime with no outside practice of law permitted. Annual salary is approximately $80,000 plus state benefits. Staff attorneys serve as trial counsel in capital murder cases where the state is seeking the death penalty. Prior death penalty trial experience is required.
To apply send a resume and the following information to: André de Gruy, P.O. Box 2901, Jackson MS 39207; or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position opens July 1, 2005, and will remain open until filed.
1. List the courts before which you have been admitted to practice, with dates of admission.
2. The general character of your law practice (i.e., general, criminal defense, prosecution, civil plaintiff, defense, etc.). Divide it into periods with dates if the character of your practice has changed over years.
3. What percentage of your practice has been criminal defense? Divide it into periods if this has varied over years.
4. What percentage of your practice has been indigent defense? Divide it into periods if this has varied over years.
5. If you have served as a public defender please provide jurisdiction, period of service, and indicate it full or part time?
6. Number of cases in trial court tried to verdict or judgment?
7. Number of felony cases tried to verdict? How many as lead or sole counsel and how many as associate counsel?
8. Number of capital (i.e., murder, rape, robbery, etc.) cases tried to jury verdict? How many as lead or sole counsel and how many as associate counsel?
9. Number of cases in which the death penalty was sought tried through sentencing? How many as lead or sole counsel and how many as associate counsel?
10. Number of cases in which the death penalty was sought but case resolved prior to trial or at guilt phase? How many as lead or sole counsel and how many as associate counsel?
11. List the criminal law and/or death penalty related continuing legal education courses completed within the past 5 years including the sponsor, date and location