Advocates for Justice and Education School Discipline Pro Bono Training
Thursday December 12
- By: Advocates for Justice and Education
- Time: 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Bingham McCuthen LLP2020 K Street, NWWashington, DCMap: maps.google.com
Rochanda Hiligh-ThomasAdvocates for Justice and Education202-678-8060
Advocates for Justice and Education invites volunteer attorneys to provide much-needed assistance to students who face long-term suspension or expulsion from D.C. public schools. Legal assistance can ensure that D.C. public schools afford students due process, help to minimize a student's loss of instructional time and protect a student's right to public education.
This training will prepare volunteer attorneys to represent students in school discipline cases at traditional D.C. Public Schools and D.C. public charter schools. Representation would include administrative litigation before Administrative Law Judges at the District of Columbia Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) or before a charter school's hearing officer/committee and/or board of trustees.
Training topics will cover the following areas:
- Relevant laws and procedures (including the new hearing proceedings before OAH) governing school discipline
- Charter schools and school discipline
- Disciplining of students with disabilities
- Defenses to school discipline
- Practical approaches for successful case resolution
Registration Closes Monday, December 9, 2013
Please complete the attached registration form. Registration is limited.
Lunch will be provided.
- Attachment(s): AJE's Representing Students in School Discipline Training Flyer & Registration Form December 12 2013.doc