The Supreme Court: The View From the Press Gallery
Tuesday, July 02
- By: Courts, Lawyers and the Administration of Justice Section
- Time: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Arnold & Porter LLP555 12th St NW(Metro Center Station)Washington, DCMap: maps.google.com
D.C. Bar Sections Office(202) 626-3463
- Website: www.dcbar.org
As always, the Supreme Court will rule on major legal questions by the close of this Term at the end of June: Are same-sex marriages constitutionally required? Are race-conscious college admissions constitutionally prohibited? Can human genes be patented? Can states seize and analyze DNA samples from people who are arrested but not convicted? Has the preclearance provision of the Voting Rights Act become unconstitutional? The Court's formal decisions will be on the front pages, but what happens behind the scenes? The Justices and their law clerks won't talk, but this panel of distinguished journalists who cover the Supreme Court will take a behind-the-headlines look at the major cases and issues before the Court this Term as well as the personalities and interactions among the Justices, and will also offer their annual predictions for next Term.
This Luncheon program is sponsored by the Courts, Lawyers and the Administration of Justice Section, in co-sponsorship with the Antitrust and Consumer Law Section, Arts, Entertainment, Media and Sports Law Section, Criminal Law and Individual Rights Section, Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Section, Health Law Section, International Law Section, Labor and Employment Law Section, Litigation Section, Real Estate, Housing and Land Use Section, Taxation Section.
- Robert Barnes, The Washington Post
- Joan Biskupic, Thomson Reuters
- Jesse Holland, Associated Press
- Adam Liptak, The New York Times
- Tony Mauro, Legal Times & American Lawyer Media
- David Savage, The Los Angeles Times
- Arthur Spitzer (Moderator), American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of the Nation's Capital
CLE Credit - No
Please click here to register for this event.
- Download this to your calendar