Ayuda's Interpreter Training
Monday March 10
Wednesday March 12 2014
- By: Ayuda (Washington DC Office)
- Time: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
TBDTBDWashington, DCMap: maps.google.com
- Website: www.ayuda.com
CALLING ALL INTERPRETERS!
Are you an interpreter seeking professional development opportunities?
Do you want to expand your client portfolio?
Do you want to be part of DC's Community Legal Interpreter Bank?
If so, this training is for you!
Free training is being provided in exchange for a commitment to accept future paid assignments.
Interested applicants must be experienced interpreters who are available for assignments during regular working hours. Assignments will be throughout the DC Metro area. Interpreters may be required to complete additional training and testing to prove their skills are sufficient for potentially complex and critical legal interpreting assignments.
Language of Justice: 20 hour training for Legal Interpreters
March 10th, 11th, and 12th, 2014 (3 full days)
8:30 am to 4:30 pm each day
Location: TBD in Washington, DC
What is Covered in the Classes?
Ethics of legal interpretation in the attorney-client context focusing on:
- Attorney-client confidentiality
- Attorney-client privilege
- Unauthorized practice of law
- Appropriate techniques for linguistic mediation
- Overview of the US legal system, including issues most likely to confuse LEP clients
- Interpreter skills and terminology development targeting the legal field
- Role-playing and sample sight translations based on actual attorney-client meetings
What are the Benefits of the Training Program?
Interpreters who successfully complete the training will be:
- Prepared to provide legal interpretation for attorneys and clients
- Included in the Community Legal Interpreter Bank
- Offered paid interpreting assignments with DC legal services providers
To apply by March 3rd, 2014: Please call (202) 243-7315 or e-mail email@example.com to request an application.
Send your resume to Carolina@ayuda.com or fax to (202) 387-0324 Attn: Carolina Herrera
For further information call Carolina Herrera at (202) 243-7315.
This training program is provided by the Community Legal Interpreter Bank, a project of Ayuda, supported by a publicly-funded grant from the DC Bar Foundation.
- Attachment(s): LOJ Flyer 2014.pdf