4th Virginia Immigrant Advocates Summit 2013
Friday October 04 , 2013
- By: Annandale United Methodist Church, American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU VA), Boat People SOS Inc
- Time: 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Annandale United Methodist Church6935 Columbia PikeAnnandale, VAMap: maps.google.com
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
Since its founding in 2010, the Virginia Immigrant Advocates Summit has brought together hundreds of immigrant rights advocates and allies from across the Commonwealth and has become an important forum to learn about and discuss issues important to the immigrant community as well as network with other individuals who support and fight for the rights of immigrants.
- The implementation of the Affordable Care Act in Virginia (The future of Medicaid expansion in the state, the establishment of healthcare exchanges, the role of healthcare navigators among other important information)
- Virginia Legislative Update 2013/2014 (Review of the 2013 General Assembly and what we are likely to see in 2014), in-state tuition, access to driver's license for immigrants in Virginia, voter ID law in Virginia and concerns over voter suppression/intimidation).
- Immigration Reform (Learn about the status of the bill that passed in the Senate in June, legislative efforts in the House and ways to get involved in reform advocacy activities)
- Voting protection (Learn more about the impact of the recent Supreme Court decision concerning the Voting Rights Act and find out how to get involved to ensure that all Virginia citizens are able to exercise their right to vote)
- Combating immigration fraud with state legislation (Learn more about this issue impacting immigrant communities as well how to get involved in state advocacy efforts to combat fraud on immigrants)
- DACA In-state tuition for immigrant children (Virginia DREAM Act) - 101 Organizing and advocacy (Learn practical information on how to do advocacy and organizing around immigration issues with particular focus on the in-state tuition legislation as a case study)
- Cultural competency for service providers (Learn techniques to interact effectively with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds in order to better engage and provide important services for members of those communities)
To register, please go to https://www.cmpinc.net/immigrantsummit or visit www.vacolao.org. The registration fee is $40.00. For more information on the Summit and available scholarships, contact Edgar Aranda-Yanoc at email@example.com or call at 703-772-1555.