Family Court Self-Help Center Volunteer Training Session
Friday November 08 , 2013
- By: D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program, D.C. Superior Court, Ballard Spahr LLP
- Time: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Ballard Spahr LLP1909 K St, NW12th FloorWashington, DCMap: maps.google.com
Shannon ReddD.C. Bar Pro Bono Program202-737-4700, ext. 3293
- Website: www.dcbar.org
**PLEASE NOTE that the location of this training has changed.**
The DC Family Court Self-Help Center is a free walk-in service that provides unrepresented people with general legal information in a variety of family law matters. Volunteer attorneys have an opportunity to provide pro se litigants with brief information on matters in the Domestic Relations and Paternity & Support Branches of the Family Court of DC Superior Court. This is a great opportunity for attorneys to provide direct pro bono legal services to individual pro se litigants while making a predictable time commitment.
The Family Court Self-Help Center training will cover:
- Family Court Self-Help Center Operations
- An Overview of DC Family Law
- FAQs in Divorce, Custody and Child Support Cases
- Giving Legal Information vs. Legal Advice
- Legal Resources in Family Law Matters
Please Note: This training is appropriate for attorneys only, but no particular expertise is required to participate. Training participants will be asked to commit to volunteering for three morning or afternoon shifts at the Center within approximately six months of the training. A family law expert from the Family Court Self-Help staff is on-site during each session to assist volunteers.
Malpractice insurance is NOT provided by the D.C. Superior Court or the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program to attorneys who volunteer at the Family Court Self Help Center. This training session is not MCLE accredited.
This half-day training is offered to all participants for $15. Please click here to register.
* Our host, Ballard Spahr LLP, is kindly providing a continental breakfast.
* No phone registrations will be accepted. All cancellation and refund requests for pro bono trainings conducted by the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program must be received in writing seven (7) days before the training session date.
The Family Court Self-Help Center Volunteer Training Session is presented by the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program and the D.C. Superior Court; with support from the D.C. Affairs, Family Law and Litigation Sections of the D.C. Bar.
- Attachment(s): 2013.11.08 Family Court Self-Help Center Training Flyer.pdf