Child Custody Training: 2-Part Series
Tuesday, October 01
Tuesday, October 08
- By: D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program
- Time: 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
D.C. Bar Conference Center1101 K Street, NWFirst FloorWashington, DCMap: maps.google.com
Shannon ReddD.C. Bar Pro Bono Program202-737-4700, ext. 3293
- Website: www.dcbar.org
There is a particularly pressing and unmet need for pro bono legal services in family law cases. Unlike other areas of the law, where encounters with the legal system are discretionary, family law matters often absolutely require resort to the legal system.
This 2-part training series is designed to equip attorneys who have had little or no experience in family law matters to competently and comfortably handle custody and support matters for pro bono clients. The training will focus primarily on child custody proceedings in the District of Columbia involving indigent or low income families.
Day one topics will include:
- What is Child Custody?
- Filing a Child Custody Case
- 3rd Party Child Custody Cases
- Child Support
Day two topics will include:
- A View from the Bench
- Domestic Violence
- Case Preparation
- Courtroom Proceedings
No particular expertise is required to participate. This training is appropriate for attorneys and attorney/ paralegal teams (paralegals must attend with an attorney).
In exchange for this training, the Participant agrees to accept at least one pro bono case in the subject matter covered in this training, from one of the sponsoring organizations. *PLEASE NOTE: This requirement is not applicable to D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program Advocacy & Justice Clinic participants or to volunteers currently handling a pro bono family law case with one of the sponsoring organizations.*
This 2-part series is offered to attorneys for $25.00 and to paralegals for $15.00. The training is FREE for employees of legal services providers. Please click here register.
* All cancellation and refund requests for pro bono trainings conducted by the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program must be received in writing seven (7) days before the training session date.
* Dinner will NOT be served at either session. Refreshments will be provided by the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program.
* If you require an accommodation, please contact the Pro Bono Program at 202?737?4700, ext. 3293.
The Child Custody Training series is presented by Bread for the City, Catholic Charities, Children's Law Center, Columbus Community Legal Services, the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program, and Legal Aid Society of D.C.; with support from the D.C. Affairs, Family Law and Litigation Sections of the D.C. Bar.
- Download this to your calendar