Communicating with Pro Se Parties
Thursday May 23 , 2013
- By: D.C. Bar Family Law Section
- Time: 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
D.C. Superior Court500 Indiana Ave, NWRoom 2500Washington, DCMap: maps.google.com
D.C. Bar Sections Office(202) 626-3463
- Website: www.dcbar.org
**This is a free event, no registration is required.
Given that over 85% of litigants in family law matters do not have legal representation, you are bound to communicate with a pro se litigant at some point in your practice. At times, this communication can be challenging and presents a host of ethical issues for you to consider. This program will examine this interaction and provide pointers on how to effectively communicate with a pro se litigant without falling into an ethical conundrum.
The panelists will discuss topics such as: (1) conflicts of interest, (2) the attorney-client relationship (beginning, ending and scope) and (3) interacting with pro se individuals with diminished capacity.
- Hon. Judge Danya Dayson, Associate Judge, Superior Court for the District of Columbia
- Dolores Dorsainvil, Esq., Senior Staff Attorney, District of Columbia Office of Bar Counsel
- Jessica Adler, Esq., The Law Office of Jessica E. Adler (Moderator)