With funding from the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) Technology Initiative Grants (TIG) program, Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA) and Pro Bono Net (PBN) offer in-person training on creating online forms for the LawHelp Interactive community. These are free to participating legal aid programs and their eligible partners.
Our current training is in online mode and takes place September 15th through October 27th. Sessions are held every Tuesday at noon eastern for two hours.
We are also planning to hold an in-person training January 11-12, 2016 directly preceding the LSC TIG Conference. See below for more details and to register.
We will be offering a Beginner Track for our January 2016 in-person training as well as an intermediate "Beyond the Basics" Track if there's sufficient interest. For the beginner training, emphasis will be on HotDocs template development and A2J Guided Interview development is covered. The beginner track training faculty include trainers from Capstone Practice Systems as well as Alex Rabanal and Jessica Bolack Frank of the Center for Access to Justice & Technology at Chicago-Kent College of Law.The intermediate "Beyond the Basics" Track if offered, will be targeted at developers who have already done one of our Beginner Track trainings (live or online series) and who now want to hone in on specific techniques or challenges. For example: 1. How to qualify users for an interview/ How do you handle exits in A2J Author and HotDocs? 2. Generating multiple documents with one interview 3. Doing custom addendums and master templates. 4. Repeats--all kinds of repeats (nested repeats, repeat tables, etc). Real practice on the many types of repeats in A2J Author and HD. 5. Multilingual content--options and approaches 6. Scripting of HotDocs computations. It will be workshop style, so the enrollment will be limited to no more than 15 intermediate students. During the
"Beyond the Basics" Tuesday training, we are also hoping to have an "Ask the Expert" drop in table to come in and discuss your project and get real time assistance (this might be done remotely or via video conference depending on how many people want to do this) with our experts and faculty. To hold the "Beyond the Basics" we need at least 5 enrollees.For questions about various training options, please email Claudia Johnson, email@example.com. The January 2016 in-person training (s) will take place at the Wyndham San Antonio River Walk.We will share more details about hotel reservations, travel, and other logistics in the coming weeks.
Registration is now open for the January 2016 in-person training. Please complete the registration form here by December 11, 2015. Please note that you are not registered until you receive confirmation from LHI staff.
Again this training is free to legal aid organizations and their eligible partners. Participants are responsible for their hotel and travel costs when applicable. They also need to bring in their own laptop ready with all the required software (see Technical Requirements).
Syllabus/Agendas for Trainees
The fall 2015 course syllabus is available here. Please note the syllabus is subject to change.
Download HotDocs Developer 11 and register for A2J Author 5.0 for the training. You will need a laptop with A2J Author and HotDocs programs on it for the training. You will need a reliable internet connection, speakers and a microphone for the online sessions which will be conducted using GoToMeeting software. In addition, if you use a mouse when using your computer or laptop, please use one for the training.
Homework to be Completed before the Training
- Install HotDocs Developer 11: if your program needs to purchase a HotDocs Developer license from the HotDocs Corporation, please read this before purchasing a license.
- Go through HotDocs Developer Tutorial Chapter 1, lessons 1 – 4.
- Think about your project; be prepared to talk.
- Register for the LHI listservs and the LHI Resource Center (also known as "DAsupport")
- Register as a Template Provider (Choose account type "Template Provider." Enter and submit the appropriate information. You will receive an e-mail when you have been approved).
- Download a copy of the Montana Petition for Divorce from here (This is a document we will automate as a group during the live training).
- Download a copy of New York Consumer Debt Answer Form from here (This is a second document we will automate during the live training).
- Register for A2J Author 5.0 by visiting www.a2jauthor.org and signing up (You'll get an email with further instructions once you have been authenticated).
Last updated 11/11/2015