With funding from the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) Technology Initiative Grants (TIG) program, Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA) and Pro Bono Net (PBN) offer in-person trainings on creating online forms for the LawHelp Interactive community. These trainings are free to participating legal aid programs and their eligible partners.
The first-ever LHI online developer training was completed this October. To access the recordings from these sessions visit here. Two supplemental A2J Author 5.0 sessions also held in conjunction with the fall online developer training and were taught by Ms. Jessica Bolack Frank. The recordings from these sessions are available as follows: Day 1: http://t.co/yxYDuyREuJ and Day 2: http://t.co/7R7ncTD3Ba.
We will just be offering a beginner track this January, where emphasis will be on HotDocs template development, but A2J Author will also be covered. For an optimal learning experience, the beginner track will be limited to about twelve registrants.
The beginner track training faculty include trainers from Capstone Practice Systems as well as Alex Rabanal of the Center for Access to Justice & Technology at Chicago-Kent College of Law.
Registration for the January live developer training is now closed. Check back here for registration details for our fall training in the coming months.
Registration is free to legal aid organizations and their eligible partners. Participants are responsible for their hotel and travel costs.
Hotel/ Travel Information
The training will take place in the same hotel as the LSC TIG Conference, the Marriott Plaza San Antonio; within a few blocks of the city's famous River Walk. The room is Pavo Real A and the hotel address is 555 S. Alamo St., San Antonio, TX. The deadline has past to take advantage of the discounted hotel rate of $115 for the TIG conference and this pre-conference training, but you can contact the hotel directly for rates and room availability. You may also call 1-800-228-9290 or visit here.
If you have been approved for any TIG Conference travel covered by LSC, Bernie Brady, Travel Coordinator for Legal Services Corporation, will contact you after you register for the TIG Conference to coordinate your travel arrangements. All travel arrangements covered by LSC must to be coordinated with Bernie.
Please note: if LSC is providing any of your lodging (even one or two nights) for the TIG Conference as a presenter or TIG award recipient, LSC will reserve a room for your entire stay at the conference hotel, based on the dates you indicated when registering. Therefore, you must let TIG staff know if you plan on attending this training before the conference, and indicate the appropriate arrival day on your registration form. Please do not make your own reservation as this will result in duplication. Payment for any additional room nights in the hotel beyond those offered to you as a presenter or TIG award recipient is your responsibility.
Syllabus/Agendas for Trainees
The syllabus for the beginner training is available here. Please note the syllabus is subject to change.
Download HotDocs Developer 11 and register for A2J Author 5.0 for the training. You will need to bring a laptop with A2J Author and HotDocs programs on it for the training. In addition, if you use a mouse when using your computer or laptop, please use one for the training.
Homework to be Completed before the Training
- Install HotDocs Developer 11: if your program needs to purchase a HotDocs Developer license from the HotDocs Corporation, please read this before purchasing a license.
- Go through HotDocs Developer Tutorial Chapter 1, lessons 1 – 4.
- Think about project; be prepared to talk.
- Register for the LHI listservs and the LHI Resource Center (also known as "DAsupport")
- Register as a Template Provider (Choose account type "Template Provider." Enter and submit the appropriate information. You will receive an e-mail when you have been approved).
- Download a copy of the Montana Petition for Divorce from here (This is a document we will automate as a group during the live training).
- Download a copy of New York Consumer Debt Answer Form from here (This is a second document we will automate during the live training).
- Register for A2J Author 5.0 by visiting www.a2jauthor.org and signing up (You'll get an email with further instructions once you have been authenticated).
Last updated 1/9/2015