With funding from the Legal Services Corporation (LSC) Technology Initiative Grants (TIG) program, Ohio State Legal Services Association (OSLSA) and Pro Bono Net (PBN) offer in-person trainings on creating online forms for the LawHelp Interactive community. These trainings are free to participating legal aid programs and their eligible partners.
Pro Bono Net will offer its fall basic training for LawHelp Interactive developers in online mode this year. It will consist of five two-hour sessions, at noon Eastern on Tuesdays, starting September 9th and running weekly through October 7th. Two additional, optional A2J Author 5.0 sessions will be held after the first 5 sessions on October 14th and October 21st.
The next live training is currently planned for January 2015 directly before the LSC TIG Conference.
Emphasis will be on HotDocs template development, but A2J Author will also be covered, both in the main class and additional A2J Author 5.0 classes in October.
Active trainees will be limited to about a dozen, and are expected to attend all sessions and devote at least a similar amount of time outside of class on hands-on exercises.
The online sessions will be open to a broader audience of observers, and parts will be recorded for later review. Supplemental problem-solving sessions will be scheduled for the active trainees the Friday after each session. All of the materials for each sessions will be made available here.
Training will be done by Bart Earle and Marc Lauritsen of Capstone Practice Systems and Jessica Bolack Frank of the Center for Access to Justice & Technology at Chicago-Kent College of Law.
Two supplemental A2J Author 5.0 sessions will be provided by Ms. Jessica Bolack Frank in October. To register for these two sessions please go here.
Course registration for active trainees has now reached maximum capacity and is closed. Auditors/watchers can join for the full set of sessions or any particular session. You can log into the September 9th- October 7th webinar session by signing up here.
For more information on participating as an auditor/watcher, please email Mirenda Watkins, email@example.com.
Syllabus/Agendas for Trainees
A sample syllabus for the online beginner training is available here. Please note the syllabus is subject to change. Unedited recordings for sessions will also be posted in this folder for those who miss a class and need to make it up. An edited version of all the recordings will be made available later on for those who want to take the classes on their own later on in the fall.
The instructors will make themselves available for office hours between weekly lessons. More information will be provided in the first session.
Download HotDocs Developer 11 and register for A2J Author 5.0 for the training. You will need access to a laptop or desktop with A2J Author and HotDocs programs for the training. You will need a reliable internet connection and the course will be taught via GoToMeeting/ GoToWebinar software.
In addition, if you use a mouse when using your computer or laptop, please use one for the training.
Homework to be Completed before the First Class
- Install HotDocs Developer 11: if your program needs to purchase a HotDocs Developer license from the HotDocs Corporation, please read this before purchasing a license.
- Go through HotDocs Developer Tutorial Chapter 1, lessons 1 – 4.
- Think about project; be prepared to talk
- Register for the LHI listservs and the LHI Resource Center (also known as "DAsupport")
We also reccommend you do the following before class starts:
- Register as a Template Provider (Choose account type "Template Provider." Enter and submit the appropriate information. You will receive an e-mail when you have been approved.)
- Download a copy of the Montana Petition for Divorce from here (This is a document we will create as a group)
- Download a copy of New York Consumer Debt Answer Form from here (This is a second document we will create during the live training)
- Install A2J Author 5.0 by visiting www.a2jauthor.org and signing up (You'll get an email with further instructions once you have been authenticated)
Last updated 9/3/2014