Baltimore Bar Sponsors Clinic for the First Time
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
- Organization: Maryland Legal Aid
Towson Pro Bono Day helps nearly 100 people
Saturday's Pro Bono Day in Towson, sponsored by the Baltimore Co. Bar Association, helped nearly 100 people with their civil legal problems. It was the first such event sponsored by the bar association.
"It went unbelievably well," said Stanford Gann Jr., of Levin & Gann P.A., a vice-chair of the committee that put the event together. "People were lining up at 9 a.m. to get in. We saw everyone who came and got incredible feedback from them."
Thirteen private attorneys volunteered (out of 17 total, including lawyers from Maryland Legal Aid). "Without fail, everyone said it was extremely rewarding and worth giving up a Saturday," Gann said. "We got a real sense that we were helping people. Everyone got a detailed appraisal of their situation, advice on what to do or what to file. There were no glazed eyes."
Some comments from participants:
· “Given options. I started with crying and ended with a laugh. Thank you.”
· “Eased my worries made things a lot clearer, so I know what I'm entitled to. Load off my mind. Thanks.”
· “The lawyer explained legal terms that were complicated to me. This positively helps people living paycheck to paycheck.”
· “Very informative, pleasant to talk with the person. Didn't feel rushed. Nice one?on-one conversation.”
Gann said that while it was the first Pro Bono Day for Baltimore County, it won't be the last. "We'll be doing this annually, at least to start," he said.
The pro bono lawyers: Hassan Barnes, Stephen Nolan, Lee Baylin, Sean Elavia, Jasmine Elavia, Jim Nolan, Laurie Ruth, Ann Lembo, Don Zarumba, Kim Magee, Jerry Payton, Stanford Gann, Jr., and Josie Yuzuik.
In addition, Doris Barnes of the BCBA, Yoanna Moisides of Legal Aid, Lawrence Burton of the Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service, Yvette Foreman of the Baltimore Co. Office of Community Conservation, and Scott Stevens of the Baltimore Co. Law Library were on hand to make the event run smoothly.
Director of Communications
Maryland Legal Aid
500 E. Lexington St.
Baltimore, MD 21202