Immigration Relief for Victims of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault: U Visa Relief
Monday, October 29
- By: Bay Area Legal Aid
- Time: 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
- Time Zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
Winston & Strawn LLP101 California StSan Francisco, CAMap: maps.google.com
Genevieve RichardsonBay Area Legal Aid
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
U Visa Non-Immigrant Petitions are means to immigration relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault or Other Violent Crimes who cooperate with law enforcement in the investigation and/or prosecution of the crimes perpetrated against them. U Visa Nonimmigrant Status is intended to protect and encourage victims of serious crime to come forward, to report crimes and to cooperate with law enforcement without fear of deportation, to reduce crime in immigrant communities. BayLegal conducts an initial interview and determines appropriate for pro bono representation; gathers initial supporting documents, and provides ongoing mentorship and technical assistance. With BayLegal's training and ongoing mentorship, pro bono attorneys have the opportunity to work with clients to:
- Elicit facts related to the abuse suffered and help prepare client's declaration;
- Prepare immigration petitions and related forms;
- Collect supporting evidence and documents;
- Understand the broader immigration petition process; and
- Obtain work authorization and benefits vital to fleeing and recovering from abuse.
Catherine Ward-Seitz, Bay Area Legal Aid.
Please RSVP by 10/24/12 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CLE Credit Comments: MCLE training
- Download this to your calendar